cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does My Galaxy S8 Active Need Screen Protection? - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Does My Galaxy S8 Active Need Screen Protection?  - Sprint Product Ambassadors

IP68.jpg

So the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active is one tough critter. We already talked about the IP68 rating and how the S8 Active hovers even above those tough specs.  What isn't overly known though is a better understanding "Shatter Resistant Screen".  It sounds great, but what does that mean anyways?  If it's so tough then why do they still make screen covers?  Do I need one?  All these questions and more will be answered below in this week's expose into the further anatomy of the Galaxy S8 Active.

The Galaxy S8 active comes with a 5.8" 2960 x 1440 display covered with Gorilla® Glass 5.  Sounds heavy duty right?  Well what exactly is Gorilla® Glass 5 and how tough is this.  Is that the only thing that helps protect my screen from shattering?  What else is going on?

Gorilla® Glass 5 is one of the latest products from Corning. Corning has been doing specialty glass and ceramics for over a century and has done everything from cell phone screens to the windows used on the Space Shuttle.  Basically Corning is a big time innovator for everything optical and heavy duty. 

The history of Gorilla Glass streatches back over 10 years and Gorilla® Glass 5, marks the 5th revision to the material.  It's inention is simple to be thin, tough and have a crystal clear optical performance. Look at the spec sheet, you will see many improvements over the prior generation's durability tests as well tests indicating the time needed to produce the material. Pretty in depth and amazing stuff but what does it all mean?  To me it's pretty simple.

Be happy with all the advancements.  Take comfort knowing they are as good as they are but regardless of all those things... BUY A SCREEN COVER ANYWAYS.

Yes, somehow and some way I got a scratch in the top corner of my screen.  It's heart breaking, but it still my own fault. I can't recall this phone ever taking a drop but I know I had carried it arround my pocket for a spell and be it change or something else, it did subcome to very light (but noticeable) damage. So what could I have done differently, where did I go wrong?

Resized_20180114_094932_8077_1515941404369.jpg

When the Samsung Galaxy S8 claims a "Shatter Resistant Screen", I don't think that's inaccurate.  In order to make this work, they phone needs to have a suitable screen material but more importantly a durable body material and suspension (for lack of a better term).  I think they S8 Active does a great job in the body category, so much so that an extra case (or body cover) might be a bit of overkill but all that aside, "Shatter Resistant" doesn't mean "Scratch Resistant", if you are careful you might be OK but if you are as rugged and "active" as this phone might suggest, spend a few extra dollars and put some screen protection on.

Do you have a favorite screen protecting film?  If so share below. 

-Rob Ignatowicz

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

1 Comment

Fantastic call out for the "softer" screen on this phone!  Well worth the extra investment for a protection option for the screen, especially since you're saving money by not necessarily needing a case option!