cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential PH-1: Less is More

Sprint Product Ambassador

Less is More:

When I was a teenager I learned the trick of flinging spaghetti noodles on the fridge to test if they were cooked. If the noodle sticks, it is ready to eat. In a “culinary experiment” with my brother I also learned that if you throw all of the noodles at the fridge, only a few will stick. I believe that cell phone industry applies this noodle flinging approach with apps and software when they launch a phone. Rather than testing one or two apps to see if they stick, they throw everything on the phone and hope that one or two apps will stick.

Essential, in partnership with Sprint, drew a line in the sand and said that they will not be adding bloatware onto the Essential phone. They provide a pure Android experience without all the extra apps. Is this a good thing or not?

Pros:

• Memory: The Essential phone has 128 Gig of memory so there is plenty of memory; however, memory is like water, you never appreciate how much you have until it’s gone.
  • Efficiency: Reducing the number of apps and software running in the back ground helps provide a more efficient and fast system.
  • Clutter: Fewer apps makes it easier keep your home page simple and find the app you are looking for.
  • Updates: With a pure version of Android, the Essential phone will be able to incorporate the updates faster because it is not customized.

Cons:

• Camera App: The camera app that comes with the Essential phone is a little bare bones. I recommend downloading a camera app from Google Play to provide you with some additional functionality and quality.
  • Visual Voice Mail: Sprint’s visual voice mail is not included on the Essential phone. I recommend downloading Google Voice to provide you with that functionality.

As a mountain biking enthusiast, I appreciate the drive to make things more efficient and eliminating excess weight and drag.  Knowing that I have a device that is not weighed down with all the excess bloatware just makes me happy.  Like my bike, my phone is a fine tuned machine that is truly customized to me.

In a world that loves to supersize everything, Essential stand out with their phone promoting the refreshing elegance of simplicity. Like noodles on a fridge, Essential has once again proven that you don’t need to throw everything into a device to see if something sticks. Sometimes less really is more.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee