cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential PH-1: The Aston Martin of Phones

Sprint Product Ambassador

Essential PH-1: The Aston Martin of the Phones

This week went by slower than a wet week as I waited with anxious anticipation for my new Essential Phone. The allure of having a new high-end device from a company that’s determined to change the industry was intoxicating. The day came when I got my new phone and it was a little like walking into an Aston Martin dealership.

IMG_20171009_215832933.jpg

When visiting an Aston Martin dealership the anticipation rises until you get there. As you walk in, you see the new Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato. Without realizing it you stop walking and just stare at it. Looking at the curves and how the lights play with the reflected lines is mesmerizing. After a couple minutes you walk up to the car and run your finger down edge of the car admiring the perfect ingenuity and lines. Next with apprehension you open the door and sit in the cockpit to see how the custom leather interior feels and smells. Normally by this time you are sold on the car without even turning it on.

I had a similar experience with the Essential PH-1 phone. When I opened the sleek black box it was like a black tie event with different textures and shades of black.  The matte black box with its subtle angles towards the Essential phone makes the glossy black Essential device pop. The reflected lights play with the Gorilla Glass screen and titanium sides. After taking a minute to admire the device, the first thing I did was run my finger down the smooth glassy side admiring the smooth angles. With a little apprehension I picked the phone up to see how it felt in my hand. Like sitting in an Aston Martin, you can feel the high-quality workmanship when you hold the Essential phone. The weight of the device makes it feel a little more substantial, and the ingenuity in bringing the titanium sides, gorilla glass front, and ceramic back all together is a work of art.

edge2a.jpgEssentialEdge.jpg

While in my hand, I noticed that the device felt really small. It is about ½ an inch smaller than my current Moto Z2 Force. Looking back at the box I noticed the high-end charger, USB C cable, and headphone jack. Yep, that’s when it sunk in that the Essential doesn’t have a headphone jack. However, that moment of disappointment was fleeting when I turned on the phone and saw the 5.7 infinity screen and noticed that the screen was actually larger than my Moto Z2 Force 5.5 screen.

Now that the shock and awe of the new device is over, I can’t wait to test drive this bad boy and see what it can do. Like an Aston Martin, it is pretty enough to stay in the show room, but the real fun comes with experiencing how it handles and seeing if it can keep up with my fast paced life.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee