cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential Phone - This Thing Is Smoke'n

Sprint Product Ambassador

Essential Phone - This Thing Is Smoke'n 

The Essential is the creation from the former CEO of Android Andy Rubin.  The device was created with the user in mind. Sleek design in a hard titanium alloy casing, gorilla 5 glass and ceramic back. Comes equipped with dual 13MP 1.85 aperture rear camera and a 8MP 2.2 aperture front camera. Larger storage of 128GB and a 5.7 screen with a resolution of 2560 x 1312 QHD 19:10 ratio. All running on the fastest processor seen to date the Qualcomm snapdragon 835. 

The Snapdragon 835 chip is engineered on the reduced size 10nm design. Thirty-five percent smaller than its predecessor the Snapdragon 820. The reduction in size helps with creation of more form fitted devices. Also included is an additional 25% reduction in battery consumption. Allowing devices to last longer. Along with the size reduction the chip now works together with the updated Qualcomm's Adreno 540 GPU. This GPU includes an improved clock speed and better thermal stability.  

This chip is a beast and like all devices I put it to its test. I run a series of benchmark tests to determine the phones ability to handle its processor and memory available. I like to know where my phones stands in comparison to other devices. I have tested the Essential Phone using 4 different performance management software each yielding some great results. When I run my tests I do this first before setting up any other application or services. I have minimal services running in the foreground or background so as to not skew my results.

Geekbench 4

geekbench4.png

This performance test again measures the GPU's ability and the CPU processing power. Geekbench 4 scores are calibrated against a baseline score of 4000 (which is the score of an Intel Core i7-6600U). Higher scores are better, with double the score indicating double the performance. The Essential Phone did AMAZING with a single-core score of 1897 and Multi-core of 6544. The processor is showing signs to handle high end use from heavy 3d gaming to 4K streaming. In comparison closest match would be based on the Galaxy S7 on single core and Galaxy Note 7 on multicore testing. When testing the GPU computational rendering the Essential Phone Processed a CPU benchmark test yielded a surprising result of 7873. The Essential blew away the competition as the closest device was the HTC Nexus 9 with the highest return of 3689. 

Screenshot_20171005-121141.pngScreenshot_20171005-121548.png

PCMARK for Android
PCMark for Android.png

Utilizing the work 2.0 performance test the application ran its myriad of tests checking processing, picture manipulating, and editing ability of documents, navigating interweb and data manipulation. Along with this test I evaluated the Computer Vision option which aims to focus on the devices performance with image recognition tasks. Finally, the Storage test which checks for the devices ability to handle fast smooth stutter-free performance when accessing storage content. Work 2.0 performance yielded a top score of 6619, Computer vision came in at 3561, and the Storage component was 4766. All these scores prove that this device is a power house above the rest. 

Screenshot_20171005-123814.pngScreenshot_20171005-135418.pngScreenshot_20171005-140142.png 

3DMark 

3dMark.png

With 3DMark I ran the Sling Shot Extreme which utilizes the OpenGL ES 3.1. Graphic tests are based on a 2560 x 1440 screen resolution which the Essential has an equivilent size of 2560 x 1312. The Slingshot ES 3.1 - Demo program is extremely demanding to get the results it looks for. The applications also tests the devices rendering abilities, graphic intensive ability. It is geared for evaluating a devices ability to handle high end computations for graphic rendering and video playback. It is computed via a graphics test and a physics test to measure CPU performance. The Essential had an Impressive score of 3684. In comparison the Galaxy S8 had a score of 3415. This shows the Essential Phone is a head of curve with high-end multitasking and its computational abilities.

Screenshot_20171005-140848.png

Antutu Benchmark & 3D Rating

AnTuTu.png 

This Benchmark application measures multiple layers of evaluation from memory performance, CPU integer Performance, and 2D 3D graphics Performance. The overall results of this test yielded a score of 171361. This score came back with the device handling a 3D game performance at a high quality mode.  CPU processor also confirmed to support large apps with excellent multitasking.

Screenshot_20171005-141748.png

The Essential Phone is sporting the new Snapdragon 835 chip. It can show the world it has what it takes to be a flagship phone. This process is a beast. it is the fastest processor I have used to date. Ultimately the Essential Phone gives users what they need a powerful phone with high multitasking and gaming abilities.

Enjoy and remember never use your phone or tablet while driving, be safe and healthy.

Disclaimer:
        The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee