cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final Views on the LG Stylo 4 Good & Bad - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Final Views on the LG Stylo 4 Good & Bad - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Final.jpg

So one thing that I see consistently with many mid-tier phones is slimmer and slimmer gap between many of their flagship brothers & sisters. The Stylo 4 is one such example where I think we are getting pretty close to where you really don’t have to spend big money to be fully satisfied with a product. That being said there are couple shortcomings to note but nothing that’s a deal breaker.  Many things are pretty easy to remedy so take a closer look at my final view on this exciting new device from LG.

First of all, let’s talk about the good. Right now this phone is a total bargain.  Regular full retail price is just $288 (Right from Sprint) which alone is pretty good but feel free to shop around. Sprint has some exciting 18mo Flex Lease offers online and Best Buy has several other great offers right in store. The Stylo 4 is aggressively priced and for good reason.  Things I love about this phone include the screen which is a GIANT 6.20” FHD+ FullVision™ TFT  2160X1080 display.  It’s crystal clear and a big upgrade from what you typically see on Mid-Tier phones. The front and rear camera are actually really good too. The back camera is 13MP but has an excellent focus and sharpness that reminds me of my old G4.  The 1.5GHz Octa-Core MediaTek MT6750S processor may not be as lightning fast as some as big boys but it sure has enough thunder for my daily use.  I had no trouble with any of my apps and this phone did well as a daily driver. The overall feel of this phone just feels much higher quality than expected.   The Stylus also feels like it got a pretty notable upgrade. I like the way it jumps to a quick note right from the locked screen. It feels much more integrated like the big boys and even the profile of the stylus feels to be of better quality. 

The only real bad things I can mention are kinda inherit with all mid tier phones. First of all you don’t get a lot of storage off the bat. You will need to get an extra microSD card to truly give enough space to save videos, music and countless pictures. This honestly should be done with any phone you get but even more noticeable with the Stylo 4.  Secondly, keep your charger handy. Battery life is decent but there is no rapid charging beyond the 1.2A charger provided. Perhaps I’ve gotten a bit spoiled with Qualcomm Quick Chargers but you will need to be a bit more conscious about battery consumption. Lastly, this phone is slim, slippery and absolutely needs a case.  I finally decided on a no-name aftermarket case that gave it some girth and grip. Since then I couldn’t be happier.  Those there items are really my only gripes. It’s a modern smartphone and all the things I love are all here.

All and all I think this phone is totally solid. Other things I didn’t get into were the fingerprint reader, which works great.  The audio quality which sounds great and even includes DTS:X™ 3D Audio Rendering, similar to other phones in the upper LG product lines.  Surely, you find even more when you take the Sylo 4 for a test drive.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

1 Comment
Journeyman
Overall, after a month I'm fine with my Stylo4, and pretty much agree with your take on it, Rob, except for a couple of points: 1. You mention one of the serious drawbacks of low storage (again, remedied with a micro-SD), but don't mention that this one comes with LESS memory (not storage, but actual usable memory) than the non-Sprint standard Stylo 4 (offered by TMobile and others). So out of the box, slower. 2. There is no NFC (Near Field) which I'm kind of used to seeing nowadays even on mid-level phones. Again, this may be a limitation of the Sprint-branded version, though I'm not sure. 3. You do mention the poor battery life, but I want to reiterate that. I don't really use my phone as much as many folks, yet am having to charge it way more frequently than my old one. So just wanted to emphasize that. Overall, though, a very serviceable phone for a fabulous lease price (when it was on special last month.) New to both the Stylo and to Sprint, so still a bit of a learning curve Smiley Happy.