cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Impressions Moto Z3 Play

Sprint Product Ambassador

I haven't had a Motorola device in ages. Matter of fact, it's been so long ago that I think it was a Push to Talk Nextel-Iden device. So, when I was given the opportunity to test out the Moto Z3 Play I just had to jump at the chance. Just for nostalgia-sake at least Smiley Happy

Well, turns out this device is NOT the same Moto I used to know. Instead it's a beautiful, sleek and extremely capable handset with some great specs. 

Features:

• Android™ 8.1 (Oreo)
  • All-day battery + Turbopower™ charging
  • Virtually borderless 6" Super AMOLED display
  • Dual Depth-sensing smart cameras
  • Slim design with fingerprint sensor
  • Face unlock
  • Water-repellent design
  • Do more with Moto Mods™
  • Calling PLUS: Calling PLUS lets you call over Wi-Fi Connections and Sprint's LTE network. You can browse the Internet and use apps while on a call. Enable the service under Settings on your phone and experience great coverage and domestic calls at no charge

So first look just at the box and I knew this device was going to be different from others I've tried. 

I also noticed it's made by 'Lenovo'. I hadn't realized the relationship before, but it's pretty cool to see it now. 

I'll just cut to the chase right away - this Android Smartphone is a premium-like device at a midrange price point.  I've heard some folks say this phone is overpriced for a midrange - I beg to differ. As a matter of fact with the exception of a few features, this feels and acts like a premium device. 

Mine as an 'indigo blue' color. It's a beautiful mirrored back dark blue that could double as a mirror. 

The sides feel beautiful and sleek with the fingerprint scanner on the right side of the screen (when face up) and the power button on the left. This is a strange place for the fingerprint scanner to be for me, as I'm used to it on the front or back of the phone. However, you quickly get used to it and it's quite convenient. The scanner works extremely well. I set up multiple fingers and can get to it while it's lying on it's back or while in the hand. 

The Amoled display is bright and beautiful. It's almost edge to edge left-right. They haven't followed the trend with the notch and has a forehead and chin. 

The dual Camera lenses are in a circle and stick up on the back a bit, but I think it's cool. Gives the moto some character rarely seen on new phones today. The camera is very very good. There are dual depth-sensing rear camera lenses, including a 12 MP low light sensor and has even gotten me some compliments on Sunrise/Sunset photos I've published to social media. I haven't had the greatest experience with low light yet, but there's a bunch of customization options with the camera/software that I have yet to mess around with. Portrait mode is pretty good - blurring the background around the subject of your picture. Also, has integrated Google Lens, though I haven't tried it yet.  

Turbo Charge! This thing charges fast thanks to Turbo Power. Can plug it in and get a huge power boost in a short amount of time. I have to time it, but it's faster charge than any of my prior devices. 

Battery life is solid too. With medium-heavy use I get a full day of battery life which surprised me considering the 3000mAh battery. Moderate get's me down to about 35%... Not too shabby. 

I have yet to test the moto-mods, but it's due to the mods that this device has such a unique look and feel. 

I will warn, the phone is slick - not just looking, I mean it's a bit slippery. 

Considering the protruded camera lenses, the device is very thin and it does look/feel premium. Great hand feel and really just surprised by how this device looks and feels.

Not sure if it's just one of my settings, but rather than an always on display you can just wave your hand over it and the screen comes to life with time/date and battery info. 

I'll be brief, but the OS works fast and smooth. no lag, no stutter, no freezing up.

More to come, but so far I'm thoroughly impressed. 

motoz3-1-463x407.png

Questions about the Moto Z3 Play? Thoughts? What do you think about the device?

Until next time - thanks for reading!

Rick

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________

Disclaimer: I am super lucky to be able to take part in a Device Ambassador program. The Product Ambassadors love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of  devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint or the device manufacturers. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. My opinions are my own. I am a Device Ambassador and Blogger... I am not a Corporate or Device Manufacturer spokesperson.