cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Five Note 8 Tricks for New Samsung Users - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Five Note 8 Tricks for New Samsung Users - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, you finally went for the big-time and got a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.  Good for you.  You are sure to be won over for years to come.  However, if you were a late bloomer such as myself, you might also have hit a few small speed bumps along the way.  Don't panic.  What you are encountering is normal. The level of customization that Samsung offers is vast and sometimes these options are easy to catch yourself on.   Good for us, most of these quirks are very EASILY correctable.  If you find a little culture shock getting you down.  Read below and I'm sure to get you back on track.

Readthis.jpg

#1 - Back Button on Right - This must be a Samsung thing because every last Android device I've owned favored the back button on left. If you are willing to change your method of thinking, you may be better off leaving things as-is (especially if you are planning to stay with Samsung).  However, if you just can't deal with it, there is hope.

Go under Config - Display - Navigation Bar.  Then under the "Button Layout" field at the bottom change "Recent - Home - Back" to the more familiar "Back - Home - Recent"

#2 - Mystery of the disappearing Navigation Bar - Don't ask me how I did this initially but somehow I got in a mode where the navigation bar disappeared within a moment of use.  It was kinda frustrating when it went away unexpectedly and even more frustrating when I didn't know how to get it back.  Anyways, much like the problem above, this is easily remedied. 

Originally intended to give you the maximum screen area, the cascading navigation bar can also be an unwanted guest if not invited. More than likely it was activated it but accidentally double tapping the little dot on the far left of your navigation bar. 

toolbar.jpg

If you are without a navigation bar, gently swipe up on the bottom of the screen where your navigation bar was.  You should see the dot on the far left hollow inside but double tap it again and it will go solid again.  Solid means the bar is locked and will stay stationary on all screens.

#3 - Edge Screen - the beveled sides Note 8 are nothing new to Samsung.  Nor is the edge screen that is easily opened when swiping from the left edge to the right.  I myself don’t use it though and it more than often, it just gets in my way.  Good news, though… you can get rid of that pesky edge screen and hide it permanently.

Go under Config – Display – Edge Screen and toggle off Edge Panels.

#4 – Alarm Clock and Snooze – So I’m rather embarrassed to say but my snooze button is much overused function, especially in the morning.  The Samsung Galaxy’s flavor of alarm clock is fully workable but has a couple additional settings you need to be aware of.  Especially with the “Snooze” button, your default setting is a 5 Minute pause and only three times you can silence it.  If you are used to a good 10-15 times pressing Snooze, go in and change it to “Continuously”.

Snooze.jpg

#5 – Text Messages – Beware the compose icon! One pet peeve I have is the compose icon that looks like this:

icon.jpg

It’s right there on the conversation screen baiting you to click on it.  I mean it’s an icon right?  It’s like the definition of an easy button.  Well, this button is great for mass group texts but a little tricky otherwise. I’m used to just picking a name and starting a text, right?  It works that way from the contacts screen and other places for that matter.  However using the icon gives you an extra step (Clicking Compose).  It might be better for mass texts but single texts… a little tedious.  Just be aware and train yourself to avoid the icon (that’s what I’ve done).

Screenshot_20171217-122615.jpg

Anyways, the more you use the Note 8, the more these become second nature. Generally these also are only noticeable if you are coming in from a different Android phone (not a Samsung).  Did you find any other differences?  Talk about it below and I’d love to check it out for myself.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.