BlogArticlePage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foldable phone? Not quite… but still pretty darn cool!

Sprint Product Ambassador

As Product Ambassadors, we get to see the latest and greatest from many different OEM’s. It’s true that the mobile phone industry works at a frantic and breakneck pace to continually develop new technology and ideas as well as improve on existing standards.  And while all of the mobile industry innovations are obvious improvements on previous generations’ developments, there are a few that truly stand out.

This year, there has been a lot of talk about “foldable” screen technology.  Although LG doesn’t have a full “foldable” screen, the LG G8X ThinQ has developed what seems to be the next best thing… a foldable CASE that acts as a second screen.

Yes we’ve seen this before (Echo… echo… echo….), but I have been pleasantly surprised not only by its functionality and durability, but also, and quite simply, by its scale.  When I pull this device out of my pocket (where it barely fits), it is a behemoth to behold…. And that’s BEFORE opening the case.  Once the case is opened, and the 2nd screen is activated, the reaction from onlookers is predictable, but always thorough enjoyable and exciting.

Whether it’s in the form of: “What is THAT?  Does it actually fold?” to “Where did you get that?”, they are always impressed with “it’s a case…”

Pictures explain the concept, but it’s really quite different when you hold it in your hands.  Yes, you need two hands.  It’s big.  It’s like a tablet.  Actually, it’s not LIKE a tablet.  It IS a tablet.

The single greatest aspect of this innovation, above all else, is the ability to truly multitask.  You can literally have two applications open, one on each screen, and work on both at the same time.  There are other options, such as the Wide View, which allows you to use the 2nd screen as an “extension” of the first screen, or the Game Pad, which generates a screen based game pad to use on compatible games.  But to me, the multi-tasking is the best.  No more flipping between apps to copy and paste, or review what you just read, or to compare results.  True multitasking – like you do with your 2nd screen on your home PC set up, only all contained in a mobile device and its 2nd screen case.

Game pad?  Yea… I said game pad.  Check out my next blog for a review of the game pad.

Enjoy!

S

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.