cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 8 Camera: Lots to Love - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hi, this is CJ, your friendly Sprint employee and Product Ambassador for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (among many other previous devices). Holiday time is a great time to capture memorable moments and the Galaxy Note 8 makes it easy to get great pictures.

I won't bore you with spec-overload (you can read all the specs on the Galaxy Note 8 here, including specs for front and back cameras). Suffice to say with dual 12-MP sensors on back, each with O.I.S. (optical image stabilization), one lens is fixed at 2X optical zoom (for maximum photo clarity) and a total of 10X digital zoom for cropping in as tight as you want, you will be hard pressed to take a bad pic. 

Let's dig into some of the camera options...

Open the Camera app. From here you can see the basic options within easy reach, such as the shutter button front and center, Bixby Vision (check out this review on Bixby Vision), Stickers, Filters, and the "X2" zoom control.

camera-mainmenu.jpg

The default mode is "Auto," which sets the light and white balance automatically. I use Auto mode at least 90% of the time and come out with fantastic pictures. The main (rear) camera does a great job of adjusting lighting and focus. Here are a couple of example photos.

The first pic is of my BBQ dinner in a dimly lit restaurant (I apologize to all the vegans in advance). The Note 8 camera on Auto mode does a great job of capturing the details and subtle tones.

bbq.jpg

This pic was snapped at the Microsoft MTC in Dallas, TX. The room was very dark. The speaker was sitting far away at a desk under a bright light. There are active video panels all around the room. In other words there was a lot of stark contrast all around me.

demo-room1.jpg

If you want more control or wish to tap into the Note 8's amazing camera options then just swipe right (from the left side) to reveal the camera menu. From this menu you can pick "Pro" mode which gives you amazing control over every detail of your photo. Panorama, Slow motion and other options, most are self-explanatory, are available through this menu. You can tap the Download "+" button to download even more modes to enhance your Note 8 camera.

camera-menu.jpg

One of my favorite photo modes is Live Focus. Live Focus lets you fix the focus on an object either near or far and then blur the background or foreground for truly special pictures. To put the camera in Live Focus mode just tap the Live Focus menu from the main camera screen. Once in Live Focus mode tap the object you want in focus, either near or far. Choose the degree of blur by sliding Background blur slider (even if you're blurring the foreground). The camera will advise you when the focus ratio is optimum with a bright yellow message box.

live-focus-ready.jpg

Here's an example of Live Focus on a near object, a "Santa" stocking with tree in the background.

liveshot-near.jpg

Same scene but with Live Focus on a far object tree, Santa stocking burred in the foreground.

liveshot-far.jpg

The best part of Live Focus is that you can change and edit the focus, blur and picture width after taking the picture. Go to the pic in your Gallery and use the Live Focus options from within Gallery.

In my next post I'll focus on some of the other fun Camera options, features and add-ins. Stay tuned for more.

Until next time,

~Ninja CJ

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee