cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8/S8+ now with VIRTUAL REALITY options! Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

daydream-vr_1.PNG

photo credit: google.com/daydream

If you're thinking about taking the plunge into the world of VR (virtual reality) but you've been waiting for better priced options, you're in luck! Sprint has already rolled out the update for Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ owners that opens up some *Virtual* options just for you!

With the ~QFJ update you can now use your S8 or S8+ with the Google Daydream VR headset!

The Galaxy S8 and S8+ were already compatible with Samsung's own Gear VR virtual reality headset and controller. Samsung worked closely with the top name in VR, Oculus, to design it's Gear VR. The VR experience via the Gear VR and Galaxy S8/S8+ is sure to wow. But the price of the Gear VR may be a bit off-putting for some. Which is why the latest update that brings compatibility to Google's Daydream VR is a welcome addition and moves that entry price-point for VR to nearly half of what Samsung charges for the Gear VR headset and controller.

Before you virtually dive in there are a few things you should know and do to get ready.

• First, make sure your Galaxy S8/S8+ is updated to the latest Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ firmware: Settings > About phone > Software version : Make sure the version ends with ~QFJ. If not then back up one menu level to "System updates" and select "Download updates manually."
  • Download the latest version of the Daydream VR app from Google via the Play app market.
  • Most important: Get your hands on a Google Daydream VR headset. For a limited time the Google Daydream VR headset has been discounted to $59.99 and is available from Google.com, Amazon, Best Buy, and select other retail stores.
  • Update the firmware of the Daydream controller via the Daydream app. 

daydream-vr_appmenu1.PNG

photo credit: play.google.com

There's a lot of content already available for Google Daydream VR including games, exploration of geographic places (Google Earth), totally immersive movies and lots of interesting apps. So go ahead and dive in and explore. 

daydream-vr_menu1.PNG

photo credit: play.google.com

I can't wait to download and play one my all-time fave games Need For Speed - No Limits VR for the fully immersive VR edition experience! Who knows, maybe we will be racing each other in the near virtual future.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm on my way over to Best Buy so I can pick up a Google Daydream VR headset and start exploring the world of VR.

Catch you virtually online,

Ninja CJ

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

2 Comments

Great post. Other than price, are there differences between the 2? Is one better than the other? 

Good question. I bought the Google Daydream VR and am now "exploring" the world of VR. I don't have a Samsung Gear VR but would love to read any comments from anyone who may have had a chance to experiment with both and can offer a side-by-side comparison.

I found this recent review and comparison. 

http://observer.com/2017/06/best-virtual-reality-device-google-daydream-view-samsung-gear-vr/