cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 & S8 plus: Using the right app is key - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

When I first un-boxed my Galaxy S8+ I have to admit that I was really dazzled with the Infinity Screen, the feel, the performance and the battery life. But after using it for several weeks I can also admit that I'm disappointed with a few key aspects of the S8+.

The Samsung default keyboard was key to my experience.

Sure, the Samsung KB has an extra row of number keys at the top, and it allows you to choose your favorite emoji, but it just seemed less intuitive than other keyboards. The swipe-to-text action was less than accurate and I found myself having to make a lot of corrections. The KB is supposed to "learn" my writing style and improve with time. It didn't. Or at least I didn't feel it was "getting" me. But not to worry. This is Android! I can change that! So I did. And it's made all the difference in my experience.

I decided to go with Gboard - the Google Keyboard from Google. It's from Google so you can trust the developer. Just download the app from the Google Play app store like any other app. Installation is a breeze. It will prompt you through setting itself as the default keyboard. Or, if you choose to change keyboards at a later date just follow these steps:

Settings > General Management > Language and input > On-screen keyboard > (choose favorite keyboard).

Once you select the KB you can then choose settings, themes and preferences. I love Gboard for many reasons, mostly because it's very easy and intuitive to use. The Glide Typing works very well and requires few if any corrections.

Oh what a difference a great keyboard makes!

The Gboard is very feature rich with fun themes, Google search right from the keyboard, emojis (and the ability to search emojis), plenty of GIFs (for times when emojis just don't convey the message), language translation, and, of course, Google's awesome voice-to-type when you go hands-free!

Gboard-4-emoji.jpg      Gboard-5-vtype.jpg      Gboard-6-translate.jpg      Gboard-7-theme.jpg      Gboard-1-search.jpg      Gboard-2-send.jpg      Gboard-3-gifs.jpg
graphics credit: Google Gboard (app) Google Play

If you have frustrations with the Samsung Keyboard like I did, not to worry. Relax, it's Android. You can experiment with many different keyboard apps until you find the one you like. I recommend and use the Gboard - the Google Keyboard.

Safety and Security Note: When it comes to keyboard apps make sure you choose a keyboard app from a reputable developer. The keyboard app is the interface that you use for inputting sensitive information like account passwords, bank account credentials and security PINs. Read the reviews of the app, good and bad, before you download and install. Always keep your apps up to date with the latest patches and hot-fixes.

Catch you next time online,
~Ninja CJ

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

1 Comment
Journeyman

Two words, Swift Key. Best keyboard app around.