cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 3a Review

Sprint Product Ambassador

I’m going to start off this review by stating that I am a huge google fan when it comes to their phones. I’ve used some of their previous phones, most recently the Nexus 6. So to say I was hyped to get my hands on the Pixel 3a was a bit of an understatement. But does it live up to the Google name? Let’s find out...

Phone Quality/Designdevicenb_650x900Pixel 3aFirst off, let’s talk about the design and overall quality of the phone. The screen is 5.6 inches and weighs in at just over 5 oz. While the body of the phone is plastic, it feels durable, has a good weight to it. Not once did I say to myself that the phone felt cheap. While not a “Premium” device in terms of cost, the phone looks and feels premium which is awesome. Additionally, the phone retains a 3.5 mm headphone jack and fingerprint scanner. 

Performance

On the performance side, Google has done a good job optimizing the phone. Not once have I experienced any lag, crashing or other performance hiccups. Even with having multiple apps open at one time, the phone performs really well. Swiping between screens or apps is really smooth. Given the price point of the phone, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it seems to outperform more expensive devices in this area. On the Specs side, the phone comes with 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of on board storage. There is a downside though. There is no slot for expandable memory, so if you need more storage, you’ll have to go with cloud storage like Google Drive or Dropbox. The last big questions is “How does the battery perform?” I’ve found that I can get through most of my day with normal use and not have to charge it till i get ready for bed. Other activities such as watching videos or streaming music, especially if done quite frequently, will take its toll on the battery and you’ll need to charge the device,

Features

Like all Google branded devices, the Pixel 3a comes with the latest version of Android (9.0). Unlike other phones, this version of Android is the “Pure” experience. No extra user interface and only minor carrier/manufacturer apps. Switching phones was a breeze as well. Google gives you the option of connecting a USB cord between your old phone and your new phone and it will transfer all your apps, data, contacts, etc...from the old phone to the Pixel 3a in a matter of minutes. This may not be a new thing, but it was the first time I've used a feature like that and it made switching phones a breeze. For all the good things it does, there are a couple of downsides. In what I assume was an effort to keep costs down, the Pixel 3a does not have wireless charging, nor is it waterproof/water resistant. While I can deal with not having water resistance, the lack of wireless charging is a big disappointment. Still, the battery is fast charging, so it’s not a complete loss. 

Camera

Unlike more recent devices, the Pixel 3a only has one rear camera and one front camera. The rear camera is 12.2 MP while the front camera is 8 MP. While some may scoff at these specs given what other cameras are on the market today, Google has done an awesome job of developing the Camera here. It performs well at any time of the day, including low light at night and you get an array of camera modes. Lower price point doesn’t have to mean to give up on every great feature, so it's nice to see google has embraced. 

Final Verdict

Overall, the Pixel 3a is an awesome phone and while it may be in the “budget” category, the device is so much more than that. I applaud Google for making a top notch phone that is affordable and hope that other manufacturers take note and follow this trend. If you’re trying to decide on what your next phone will be, give the Pixel 3a a shot, you won’t be disappointed. 

Pros

• Premium feel without the premium price
  • Excellent camera
  • “Pure’ Android experience
  • Great battery life
  • Awesome HDR screen
  • Kept the 3.5 mm headphone jack

Cons

• Wireless charging not included
  • Phone is not waterproof/water resistant

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee