cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got security? How the Google Pixel 3a protects your data: Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

If you have now or are considering in the future the Google Pixel 3a the attraction most likely started with the bargain $400 price combined with the experience of a pure Andriod OS and the much-ballyhooed camera experience. A little talked about feature of Google devices is the focus on hardware and software security. With a Pixel device, you get security and OS updates before those with any other device. You also get a enterprise-grade security chip called the Titan M. This tiny bonus chip is packed with the same Titan tech that protects the Google servers. 

This chip is entirely separate from the Pixel 3a’s other processor to ensure your most sensitive data is protected. Keeping it separate reduces the impact to your battery time and most importantly allows for an array of dedicated security features. It is much like having a safe deposit box that only you hold a key to access your most precious digital treasures. 

The danger zone for most device cyber attacks is during the boot-up and this chip stores the most recent safe version of Android and verifies upon startup that everything is secure. This will reduce the opportunity for a hacker to attempt degrading of your security version to make it easier to gain access. This is often referenced as a boot-time attack. 

There is also extra built-in password verification that will limit the number of login attempts to guard against remote logins. This includes direct communication to the side buttons to prevent button presses that are simulated to trick the device into thinking you have it in hand.  Kind of scary to think all of this is even possible but we live in a world with a lot of bad folks roaming the dark web. 

Is all of this a little over the top for a $400 device? I live in a bit of a LA LA land filled with fields of roses and happy songs. Cyber attacks on my phones and people with intent to do evil things just do not enter my radar and I kind of like that life. I am fortunate to have never experienced this dark side of the cyber world and it is good to know that Google Pixel 3a is working in the background to keep my data safe thanks in part to this extra chip. 

Now if you have this device, you can rest easy knowing you have a device at a super price and with super security. 

Want to learn more?  Here is an article from Google that explains in more detail the chip. 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee