cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello ShatterShield. The "unbreakable screen": Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Since we are such close internet friends and all I am going to admit something to you now.

I am a bit of klutz when it comes to my phones. So much so that moments after getting word about a new device on the way I quickly get online to order a case. There have been a few times with a box taunting me at the desk as I waited for a case to arrive. I don’t just unbox these devices and then move on. I actually use them for months after blogging about them so must treat them with care. Such is the life of a volunteer unboxer that is mostly doing this for fun.

My screen protection record is pretty poor having dropped and cracked an HTC One (M8) on day five, Samsung S5 Sport on month three and most recently the Galaxy S8 on week two. The GS8 was especially frustrating as I dropped it while placing it---in a case. Sure I should have Total Equipment Protection. Sure I should not have tried to place the phone in a case after running and on a  driveway with sweaty hands. Nonetheless, such is my life.

So given my past, I am especially intrigued by the Moto Z2 Force and its ShatterShield technology.  Motorola is so confident this screen will not break that it comes with a four-year warranty. Pretty amazing since I am not sure anyone is planning to keep a device for that long.

Key is that the screen is made of plastic rather than glass as most other devices are these days. The Galaxy S8, for example, is completely surrounded with glass which I discovered as problematic when I dropped and broke my screen just two weeks after receiving the device.

Motorola introduced this technology and warranty to the world almost two years ago and the continuation of its use must show it to be a success.

How does shattershield work?

The ShatterShield actually consists of five layers stacked in succession.

1. Layer one is an aluminum chassis built to be rigid and provide the base durability
  2. Layer two is the AMOLED display which has the flexibility to absorb shock
  3. Layer three is the touch layer which has been designed specifically to maintain touchscreen performance in the event of damage to the primary touch-sensitive layer
  4. Layer four is a transparent layer intended to provide a protective shield to not crack or shatter
  5. Layer five is the final layer that has a “proprietary” hard coat design.  

Whew, that is a lot of layers. When you consider how incredibly thin this phone is the engineering behind the screen is amazing.

I thought about taking my Z2 Force out for some drop testing and then I came to my senses and decided to let someone else on the internet have that fun. Thankfully the great folks over at CNET had the same idea and the results I am sure you will agree are just amazing. They dropped the Z2 Force 28 times and this is what they found out.

https://www.cnet.com/news/motorola-moto-z2-force-drop-test-results/

Wow!  

An unbreakable screen? So, what’s the catch? There is a trade off for all this unbreakable goodness. The difference is very slight but I outside the screen does not seem to be as visible in sunlight as my other glass based devices. My guess is that is due to the three layers covering the display.

Perhaps the biggest drawback is that the phone is scratch happy with what seems to be any little bump having the potential to add unsightly nicks. The good news is that for just $30 the top layer of the screen can be replaced.

I am not taking the risk and am using a screen protector. Yep, you counted right. I am up to six layers.

So if you concerned about broken screens, want a device that can handle some serious drops, don’t mind a few scratches as well as slightly reduced visibility in sunlight, then ShatterShield is the tech for you.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee