cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hurricane Apps & Accessories for Moto Z2 Force Edition Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hurricane Apps & Accessories for Moto Z2 Force Edition Sprint Product Ambassadors      

Hurricane.jpg

So living in sunny (and sometimes windy) central Florida, I like many others were directly affected by our recent hurricane Irma.  Now this isn’t a sob story… our house was not damaged, nobody was hurt and aside from a lack of power for six days our impact totally pales in comparison to others.  Still it’s important to know the Moto Z2 Force Edition was with me by my side and along with it, some great apps and accessories.  The ones I had, came in handy and the ones I didn’t have would have been nice. Here’s just a quick rundown of what I found, in case your find yourself in a situation where your Moto Z2 Force Edition is your main storm companion.

#1 – Great Apps (Have them ready and on hand)

1a.) Spectrum TV – Our local cable provider, Spectrum (previously Brighthouse networks) has an excellent app that allows you to stream live TV right to your phone. This seriously was our MVP of Hurricane Irma.   Our power went out right at 11PM EDT. From there on out all we had was a weather radio and our phones but through all the chaos, two things that remained stable.  First was our Sprint LTE signal and second was the Spectrum app. We were in the know by watching Spectrum’s news channel 13.  That gave us play by play update even through the early morning hours, when the wind was at its peak. If you aren’t with Spectrum, check your local cable company to see if they have something like this available.  You’ll be happy that you did.

1b.) Twitter – Sometimes you need short and sweet updates, some from local news, others from Emergency Notifications Channels and even more from local neighbors with a slightly different vantage point. We were terrified at many points during the storm.  Wind was strong and assertive.  Strange noises could be heard and when the lights went out, anything glowing was of concern. During one of our most scary moments, a tall flame was seen in the horizon.  Was it a house on fire?  Perhaps a blown transformer or maybe something else?  Well, searching twitter hash tags, in 10 minutes I found a picture posted from someone much closer to the action and confirmed it indeed was a blown transformer. Although still concerning, a little less thanks to added information.  Thankfully the rain finally extinguished the flames which had my nerves buzzing long after.  Following the storm, cellular connectivity was a bit impaired and congested.  Twitter was about the only thing that would load.  Here less was more, I could still get important updates and didn’t need to worry about messages being bogged down with graphics and unnecessary frills.

#2 – SoundBoost 2 – So I’ve talked about this at great lengths but will say it also was a nice copilot during the storm.  I had the Spectrum App going with sound at a very audible volume. I at least had things going for 3 or 4 hours straight with very little drain on my primary battery.  When it comes to playing video, it’s pretty clear the added Soundboost 2 battery allows you to segment the power draw and keep things going longer. Highly recommended during a storm or other times when endurance counts.

#3 – OTG USB-C Cable – So I talked about these in the past but will reiterate these are a must have accessory for any phone. Especially during a storm.  An OTG cable was VERY useful during IRMA and as long as I had something with battery, I could easily tap over the charge to my Moto Z2 Force.   To be truthful, I must have loaded up a good 10 of my past phones and other devices.  After the storm I sucked every last mAh to power my Z2 Force.  Very much a life-saver.

#4 – Plano Liqua-Bait Locker Model 4648 – This sounds silly but you won’t be laughing when you’re caught in the rain. Originally designed as a fishing lure case, this water-proof box is built extra tough. It fits the Moto Z2 Force with the Soundboost 2 attached (Should also fit the Moto Z2 Force with a Turbopower Pack attached).  I also like the fact that this case is crystal clear (Duraview) showing the Moto’s screen if messages come through.  At the retail price, you would be pressed to find something nicer and more durable.  Also Made In USA. Luckily didn’t have to resort to its use but ever so happy to have this on hand, just in case I did.

#5 – Moto Turbopower Pack Mod – Something I wish I had on hand was the Moto Turbopower Pack.  Giving you an extra 3490 mAh of battery life is nice and certainly giving you a little extra time between charges. The profile is clean and no cables needed.  This would have certainly been a good addition to the phone when endurance was most important.  Seriously considering ordering one soon.

#6 – RAVPower Battery Bank – There are many nice models that RAVPower offers.  Mine was very inexpensive and only a moderate degree of capacity.  However it did work well and got me back in the high 70% when my battery drained down to the single digits. I was so satisfied with this backup that I just ordered another just to be safe in the future.  Not near as stylish as a Moto Turbopower Pack Mod but its quick, easy and economical. Also easily found at many retail outlets when the storm’s coming and shipping isn’t an option.

That’s about all I can think of that directly related to the Moto Z2 Force Edition, besides an actual generator.  Let that truth be told we eventually had to take that route but all the great accessories above certainly held me over till that could be had.  Hopefully I never have to access another phone through a storm but if I do, I would be happy to have the Moto Z2 Force again or a future Z phone.  Moto Mods certainly shine during times like these.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.