cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I still want my Stylus! LG Returns with the LG Stylo 3 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

I still want my Stylus! LG Returns with the LG Stylo 3 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Stylo3.jpg

Yes, it’s 2017.  You want to move on but the PDA flashbacks of yore cloud your mind.  To some, PDA might mean a “public display of affection” but not you… You are old school.  You remember all your graffiti symbols and to you a PDA is and will always be your “Personal Data Assistant”.  In other words you demand and require something that is both familiar and comfortable.  That’s not to say, you can’t deal with modern touchscreens but you just need a stylus every now and then to feel complete.  Well, LG again has you covered proving the (stylus) pen is mightier than the sword.

Enter the new Stylo 3 from LG.

The first thing I love about this new device is the screen size. You get a generous 5.7" HD TFT IPS Touchscreen Display.  This is the same size as LG’s current Phablet (The LG V20) but for some reason feels even a tad bigger in comparison.  The screen is nice, large, and easy to read.  Although not the pixel monster of the V20, it still maintains a suitable 1280X720 resolution.  I love the fact that despite the large screen, this phone retains a feather lite 5.19oz and fells completely non-intrusive to carry around.  The stylus is nested nicely within the unit and is a slender and very familiar design.  It kinda reminds me of my Palm V and feels just as satisfying.

I know what you’re thinking. This is still a mid-tier phone, how good could the specs actually be.  Am I going to be happy with this?  How does this compare to the LG G Stylo that originally came out a couple years ago?  Well, again I say.  Even these value conscious devices a pretty well-equipped now adays and the Stylo 3 is no exception.  The main CPU is a 1.4 GHz Octa-Core Qualcomm MSM8940.  Unlike the G Stylo (8GB), you get double the storage on the device (16GB) and further options in case you want to add a micro SD card (up to 32GB).  16GB is pretty respectable for your core apps and as long as you add some degree of a micro SD card (for pictures and media).  I don’t think you’ll feel too constrained for a normal user. 

Other great features that come fairly standard on LG phones are still present in the Stylo 3 and one I’ve found very useful over the years is Wifi calling.  No Airave?  No problem.  Any standard wifi can be used to add reliability if rural areas and keep those voice calls crystal clear.  I personally use this when visiting my sister in the Northeast.  Sprint signal is very strong for the most part but it’s still an area of mountains and valleys and especially where my sister’s house is located no carrier’s signal is strong at all.  So why bother fighting the elements.  With wifi calling, all I need to do is enable it and enjoy reliable voice service even during a snowstorm. 

The software installed in Android 7.0 (Nougat) and as expected, I’ve had no problems installing and running the most current version of all my favorite apps.  With a native screen resolution of 1280X720, you get 720p HD video playback and the display looks good on Netflix, Youtube, Crackle, Amazon Instant Video* and many other streaming services. Apps I use for home monitoring all work well and Nest, Dropcam, WeMo and other popular apps are all accessible and work about as good as they do on other premium smart phones. 

At a $264.00 retail price, it’s even more affordable than the LG G Stylo was at launch ($288) and certainly has a lot of bang for the buck.  Don’t be apprehensive, it really is possible to get a great phone on a budget.  Stop by your Sprint store to learn even more and keep checking back as I’ll be highlighting additional features of this great LG phone in coming weeks.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

*Amazon Instant Video needs to be downloaded outside of Google Play store.  Visit Amazon.com for the most up-to-date instructions

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.