cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JBL SoundBoost 2 + Moto Z2 Force Edition = Awesome - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

JBL SoundBoost 2 + Moto Z2 Force Edition = Awesome - Sprint Product Ambassadors

IMG_20170813_140750_01~2.jpg

So you scored your very own Moto Z2 Force Edition and now you are thinking about these Moto Mods.  You’re still new to the Moto Z family.  It’s early and you don’t want to dive into a big investment.  What you really want is something fun and nice to show off to you friends.  Well look no further than the JBL SoundBoost 2.

The SoundBoost 2 is the second generation Moto Mod that adds premium JBL stereo sound to your Moto Z2 Force Edition (also works with earlier Z series phones).  The SoundBoost 2 is not Bluetooth device. No pairing is needed.  Just stick it to the back of your phone and you’re off.  You phone does the rest of the work for you.  Immediately after installing on your device, Android will prompt you to download and install the “My JBL SOUNDBOOST2” app.  This app provides all you need to run and tweak your JBL Soundboost 2 Mod.  You have the option to either enable or disable the Equalizer.  From there you get six separate EQ modes to choose from matching a particular type of music.  Choose from “Normal”, “Rock”, “Classical”, “Jazz”, “Pop” or “Metal”.

Screenshot_20170811-203458.jpg

For my general music selection, I tend to use the “Rock” setting which is a moderately scooped mid-range but for watching movies I almost always keep things “Normal”.  Especially when watching normal videos, I like how the SoundBoost 2 preserves all clarity of the voices and doesn’t drown things out with over compensated bass.  It’s really natural sounding, fully audible at all volumes and an overall excellent upgrade to the standard audio.  The added kickstand is real treat.  It’s stable, centered and perfectly balanced.  It makes watching movies in your recliner or couch really comfortable.  Just prop up the kickstand, set the Moto Z you your chest, lean back your and you have your own private movie theater.  Ahhh, such a great addition to a lazy Sunday afternoon.

The SoundBoost 2 works on its own battery so don’t worry that this premium JBL sound is soaking up your battery life. It can charge by itself by connecting SoundBoost 2 Mod directly to a charger or charge through the Moto Z2 Force once the primary battery has reached its full charge.  You also can monitor your battery life through the Moto Mods Manager.  So far I haven’t had the SoundBoost 2 run out of battery before the Moto Z2 Force but it’s still nice to monitor where things are.

Screenshot_20170811-203448.jpg

The only real drawback that anyone would have with the SoundBoost 2, is it will add some notable weight to your device if you keep it attached. For example The Moto Z2 Force Edition is about 5oz by itself (pretty much a featherweight) Snap on the SoundBoost 2 and you’ll bring that up to a beefy 9.65oz.  Not too uncomfortable but some might be put off by that.  The good news however, is that SoundBoost 2 can been added and removed seamlessly.  It doesn’t need to be stopped and started each time. If you are going into somewhere where sound isn’t needed, just pop the SoundBoost 2 off and leave it in the car.  Maybe switch to a case back instead or maybe even an extended battery.  As soon as you get back to your car, snap the SoundBoost 2 back on and bring the party back.

Other great things about the SoundBoost 2 is it works great with Speakerphone and alarms.  Are you traveling out of town?  Need a hands free device for that rental car and need a blistering loud alarm clock to get you up on time?  Bam!  SoundBoost is for you.  It also now (as comparted to the original SoundBoost Mod) has a splashproof coating which will help with unfortunate mishaps or being caught in the rain.  Especially in August, this very helpful in Florida where I live.

I think all and all, the SoundBoost 2 and Moto Z2 Force Edition are a perfect match. Visit Motorola.com for current pricing and availability.  At the time of this writing it was $79.99 with free shipping.  It arrived sooner than estimated so don’t be too worried if it gives you a far out shipping date. Even if you have to wait however, you’ll be pleased and your Moto Z2 Force will thank you.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.