cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 - Snapdragon 821 Review -Sprint Product Ambassador

Sprint Product Ambassador

LG G6 Snapdragon 821 Review 

The LG G6 is LGs current flagship phone. As a next generation device LG wanted to make an impression but while they decided to hold back on the NEW Snapdragon 835 chip they did advance to the Snapdragon 821 up from the 820 version. This change does come with some advantages. The 821 processor gives a bump in CPU clock speed now up from 2.2 to 2.4 Ghz. This added bump in process speed does increase the overall performance up 10% from the 820 processor. This bump in speed helps support shorter boot times, faster app launch times, and smoother, more responsive user interactions.

As with all my phones I run a series of benchmark tests to determine the phone's ability to handle its processor and memory available. I like to know where my phone stands in comparison to other devices. I have tested the device using 4 different performance management software each yielded some great results. When I run my tests I do this first before setting up any other application or service. I have minimal services running in the foreground or background so as to not skew my results. 

Geekbench 4

This performance test again measures the GPU's ability and the CPU processing power. Geekbench 4 scores are calibrated against a baseline score of 4000 (which is the score of an Intel Core i7-6600U). Higher scores are better, with double the score indicating double the performance. The LG G6 handled itself quite well with a single-core score of 1761 and Multi-core of 4256. The processor is showing signs to be able to handle heavy usage with high end games and heavy CPU needs being met. In comparison closest match would be based on the Galaxy S7.  Processed a CPU benchmark test yielded a surprising result of 6561. The Galaxy S7 only handled a score of 2766.

Screenshot_2017-04-01-08-50-14.pngScreenshot_2017-04-01-08-53-09.png

PCMARK for Android

Utilizing the work 2.0 performance test the application ran its myriad of tests checking processing, picture manipulating, and editing ability of documents, navigating interweb and data manipulation. Along with this test I evaluated the Computer Vision option which aims to focus on the devices performance with image recognition tasks. Finally, the Storage test which checks for the devices ability to handle fast smooth stutter-free performance when accessing storage content.  Work 2.0 performance yielded a score of 5303, Computer vision came in at 2973, and the Storage component was 4194. All these scores are in line with high end multitasking devices.

Screenshot_2017-04-09-12-51-30.pngScreenshot_2017-04-09-12-49-18.pngScreenshot_2017-04-09-12-49-07.png

3DMark 

With 3DMark I ran the Sling Shot Extreme which utilizes the OpenGL ES 3.1. Graphic tests are based on a 2560 x 1440 screen resolution which is what the LG G6 is equipped with. The Slingshot ES 3.1 - Demo program is extremely demanding to get the results it looks for. The applications also tests the devices rendering abilities, graphic intensive ability. It is geared for evaluating a devices ability to handle high end computations for graphic rendering and video playback. It is computed via a graphics test and a physics test to measure CPU performance. The LG G6 Had an Impressive score of 2084. In comparison the Galaxy S7 (Exynos 8 Octa Processor) had a score of 2092. This shows the LG G6 is in line with high-end multitasking and computational abilities.

Screenshot_2017-04-02-08-41-10.png

Antutu Benchmark & 3D Rating

This Benchmark application measures multiple layers of evaluation from memory performance, CPU integer Performance, and 2D 3D graphics Performance. The overall results of this test yielded a score of 138010. This score came back with the device handling a 3D game performance at a high quality mode.  CPU processor also confirmed to support large apps with excellent multitasking.

Screenshot_2017-04-09-14-03-26.png

The LG G6 sporting the Snapdragon 821 chip can show the world it has what it takes to be a flagship phone. With a jump in CPU processing this adds to the overall ability and gives the device a much need boost to keep up in the industry. Ultimately the LG G6 gives users what they need a powerful phone with high multitasking and gaming abilities.

Enjoy and remember never use your phone or tablet while driving, be safe and healthy.

Disclaimer:
        The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee