cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G7 ThinQ - Capture Life's Moments with Ease - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey Everyone!

I’ve been using the LG G7 for about a month now, and it has quickly become one of my favorite devices I have used to date. It works well, works fast, keeps a charge, and best of all, takes fantastic pictures. I recently moved across the country and took my LG G7 along for the ride, and I was able to snap some great shots along the way.  I can’t upload them all, but I wanted to discuss the camera and a few of my favorite photos.

Camera Specs + Modes

First, it’s worth talking about the camera(s) and the specifications.  According to LG’s landing page for the LG G7 ThinQ, here are the specs for the cameras:

• Rear Camera 1: 16 MP, Standard Angle 71 degrees FOV (Field of Vision), f/1.6
  • Rear Camera 2: 16 MP, Wide-angle 107 degrees FOV, f/1.9
  • Front Camera: 8 MP, wide-angle 80 degree FOV

Those are just the basic specs, and there are plenty more to read if you’re interested in all of the nitty gritty details.

In addition to already great cameras, LG packs them full of different modes to capture life’s moments in various ways. Some modes include: Auto, manual photo, manual video, Cine Video, Food photos, slo-mo, panorama, and more.  The cameras are also packed with other features such as a Super Bright Camera on the rear camera to lighten up even the darkest of shots, OIS, HDR, and live photos.

A photographer I am not: Graphy

First, I want to start by saying I am not a photographer on any level. I am more of a point and shoot person because I have limited working knowledge of how to capture the perfect shot. However, I have become better at taking photos with the LG G7 ThinQ using the manual mode because of its intuitive nature.

Manual mode is probably one of the better features on the device.  As one would expect, you can adjust the shot to how you want to take it based on the conditions. LG takes it another step and adds in some assistive settings modes to help you use manual mode a bit better thanks to Graphy!

Graphy is a small button in manual mode that, when clicked, opens a selection of modes to select to capture the moment at hand using manual mode.  For example, choosing “night sky” (there are two modes depending on what you want to capture), it will adjust your White Balance, ISO, and shutter speeds to accommodate the night sky.  Looking to capture the stars? Click the last Night Sky option and it will change your aperture to f/1.6, WB to 5600K, ISO to 1200 and Shutter to 30 to help bring out the stars in the night sky.  There are 16 total pre-loaded Graphy options with the ability to download more via the Graphy App on Google Play Store.

Using Graphy and manual mode, I was able to capture some great photos of fireworks at my local fireworks show for Independence Day, and even the Milky Way and stars in the night sky in central Montana. Check out the photos below for some examples of manual mode and Graphy assistance:

Milky Way.jpgMilky Way - Montana, USMilky Way 2.jpgMilky Way - Montana, USFireworks.jpgFort Vancouver Fireworks Show - Vancouver, WA

Wide-Angle

The Wide-Angle capture mode of the rear camera is really a huge selling point to me. I find myself in situations where the backdrop is so large that I cannot capture it all. However, with wide-angle mode on the LG G7 ThinQ, I can

My family and I recently visited a few places prior and during our move out to Tennessee from Washington. We went to California to visit family and then made our trek across the country. I was able to bring my LG G7 with me to capture the moments.

Below you’ll see some photos that demonstrate the wide-angle in action.  We visited the Full House house in San Francisco, as well as the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota, and the wide-angle camera really was a selling point. I saw people struggling to take photos of the entire backdrop, yet with the LG G7 ThinQ, I was able to quickly snap a photo and get everything in my shot! Here are some examples:

Full House House Normal.jpgFull House house - San Francisco, CA - Non-Wide AngleFull House House Wide.jpgFull House house - San Francisco, CA - Wide Angle20180719_132642.jpgDignity (50 ft tall) - Chamberlain, SD - Wide Angle20180719_145901.jpgCorn Palace - Mitchell, SD

While you're here, go check out the article on Dignity, the 50-foot-tall Native American Woman statue in Chamberlain, SD! 

Low Light & Miscellaneous

The Super Bright Camera mode is another fantastic feature. The function turns on automatically when it senses a low-light environment and enhances the lighting of the image. This is only available on the rear camera, however.   For the front camera, there is a flash option that turns the screen bright white for a few seconds to snap the photo.

Again, I was able to capture some great photos using these various features on the device.

20180710_214346_HDR.jpgDutch Bros Coffee - Vancouver, WA (Hazel Dell)Fire Close 2.jpgFire Close.jpgClose-up of fire pitLow Light Group Outdoors.jpgKids enjoying the fire and some S'mores - Super Bright Camera/Low LightFront Camera with Flash.jpgFront Facing Camera w/ Flash

Overall

The camera on the LG G7 ThinQ is superb. I can rest assured knowing that every moment can be captured quickly, and each photo will be crisp and ready to display on my photo wall at home or the office.

What are your thoughts on the camera?  What’s your favorite feature?

Until next time

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Manager

Nashville, TN

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.