cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G8 ThinQ - Better Performer than other leading devices in its class.

Sprint Product Ambassador

LG G8 ThinQ - Better Performer than other leading devices in its class.

large11.jpg

LG has once again stepped up their game and has released a great phone that anyone will be happy to have. The LG G8 ThinQ (pronounced as "think-cue") centers around LGs eco-system of products equipped with artificial intelligence.  with a connected world LG brings this connection closer tying their ThinQ products together to give users a greater experience. The LG G8 is the next release in this world. This device is not limited in any way as it comes boasting a 6.1" QHD + OLED display (564 pixels per inch),  A 12MP standard and 16MP super wide-angle rear camera, 8MP standard front camera, 128GB storage (103GB usable), 3500 mAH battery, 6 gigs of ram, and finally Qualcoms NEW 855 Octa-core processor.  As of this article the device is available in Platinum Gray or Aurora Black and runs only $15.00/Mo with no down payment with an 18 month lease. Device can be purchased for full cost of $840.00.

855.jpg

The Qualcom 855 chip is the champion of chip sets. It is listed as the first chip to be built on the 7nm processing technology. Previous technology was on 10nm. This size maybe reduced but the overall power is immense. This chipset is what powers the LG G8 ThinQ and brings the tech to life.  provides up to 7x20 carrier aggregation downlink (2Gbps) and 3x20 carrier aggregation uplink (316Mbps). The Processor sports the updated 485 CPU with 8 cores giving a clock speed of 2.84ghz. The NEW updated GPU Adreno 640 can render and mimic real-life look, feel, depth, and material, giving a user a graphical representation of a true-to-life experience. This a first in mobile gaming and it is a first true HDR gaming on a mobile.  Speaking of HDR, along with processing power this chipset brings the new HDR10 experience for life-like footage with a wide spectrum of color that is rich, accurate, and high-contrast. 

As with all my phones I run a series of benchmark tests to determine the phone's ability to handle its processor and memory available. I like to know where my phone stands in comparison to other devices. I have tested the device using 4 different performance management software each yielded some great results. When I run my tests, I do this first before setting up any other application or service. I have minimal services running in the foreground or background so as to not skew my results. I also make sure my battery operational temperature is around 24-26 degrees Celsius. 

geekbench4.png

Geekbench 4

This performance test again measures the GPU's ability and the CPU processing power. Geekbench 4 scores are calibrated against a baseline score of 4000 (which is the score of an Intel Core i7-6600U). Higher scores are better, with double the score indicating double the performance. The LG G8 handled itself quite well with a single-core score of 3510 and Multi-core of 10987. In comparison the LG G7 scored 2443/8916 and LG G6 scored 1761/4256. The processor is showing signs to be able to handle extreme heavy usage with high end games and heavy CPU needs being met. For the Graphics computational test the LG G8 scored a RenderScript score of 7387 whereas the LG G7 had 13509 and LG G6 scored only 6561. In comparison closest match would be based on the Galaxy S8 which processed a CPU benchmark test yielded a surprising result of 6472.

Screenshot_20190423-195711.pngScreenshot_20190423-195928.png

PCMark for Android.png

PCMARK for Android

Utilizing the work 2.0 performance test the application ran its myriad of tests checking processing, picture manipulating, and editing ability of documents, navigating interweb and data manipulation. Along with this test I evaluated the Computer Vision option which aims to focus on the device’s performance with image recognition tasks. Finally, the Storage test which checks for the devices ability to handle fast smooth stutter-free performance when accessing storage content.  Work 2.0 performance yielded a score of 8647, Computer vision came in at 5243, and the Storage component was 8524. All these scores are in line with high end multitasking devices. For comparison the LG G7 scored 7641/4983/4791 LG G6 scored 5303/2973/4194 in the same tests. 

Screenshot_20190423-210406.pngScreenshot_20190423-210937.pngScreenshot_20190423-211418.png

3dMark.png

3DMark 

With 3DMark I ran the Sling Shot Extreme which utilizes the OpenGL ES 3.1 or Vulkan graphics API. Graphic tests are based on a 2560 x 1440 screen resolution. The Slingshot ES 3.1 - Demo program is extremely demanding to get the results it looks for. The applications also test the devices rendering abilities, graphic intensive ability. It is geared for evaluating a devices ability to handle high end computations for graphic rendering and video playback. It is computed via a graphics test and a physics test to measure CPU performance. The LG G8 Had an Impressive score of 5660 for OpenGL ES 3.1 and 7976 for Vulkan. In comparison the LG G7 had 4537 / 3588 LG G6 had a score of 2084 No Vulkan option available in chipset. The G8 scored 99% better thank results from all other devices. The Samsung S10e scored 5532 and S10+ had a score of 5518. This shows the LG G8 is in line with high-end multitasking and computational abilities and seems to beat out its competitors in handling the same CPU.

Screenshot_20190423-212340.pngScreenshot_20190423-212500.png

AnTuTu.png

Antutu Benchmark & 3D Rating

This Benchmark application measures multiple layers of evaluation from memory performance, CPU integer Performance, and 2D 3D graphics Performance. The overall results of this test yielded a score of 356919 while the LG G7 had 263888 and LG G6 had a score of 138010. This score came back with the device handling a 3D game performance at a high quality mode.  CPU processor also confirmed to support large apps with excellent multitasking. This device is listed as defeating 90% of other user devices who ran the same test. The Samsung S10 with the same 855 chipset performance had a score of 358845 but the S10 with the 9820 chipset only had a score of 328446. 

Screenshot_20190423-204628.jpg

The LG G8 ThinQ brings with it the next generation of processing power. Providing users everything they need  from regular work applications to high end gaming to even better photographs. This phone is great for any user type of experience. 

Enjoy and remember never use your phone or tablet while driving, be safe and healthy.

Disclaimer:
        The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

2 Comments

I miss testing out the new LG phones. They were my favorite.... 

Nice review of an incredible device!