cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G8 ThinQ – Usability Features (Floating Bar & Always On Display) – Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey Everyone!

The LG G8 is packed full of features for everyone, and some may even be familiar for those who have used other handsets from different manufacturers.  Today I wanted to spotlight the Floating Bar and the Always On Display.

If you’ve used a lot of phones, you might notice that many of the features from device to device, even across different manufacturers, are often similar. These two features (Floating Bar & Always On Display) on the LG G8 carry over from the LG G7, but are found on other manufacturer handsets as well. 

Floating Bar – what is it?

The Floating Bar is a quick access panel that hides in the side of your screen that you can access any time you need it to perform quick actions on the LG G8 ThinQ.  Perhaps you want to snag a quick screenshot or crop of the screen, maybe you want to call someone or text them, or perhaps you want to open your calculator.  All of these things are part of the Floating Bar, making the LG G8 ThinQ convenient on every screen.

First, navigate to Settings > General tab > Turn Floating Bar on > Click the … to expand out additional options such as position and the items you want the bar to have. 

Screenshot_20190707-090900.png

I turn on Shortcuts, Screen capture, Music Player, and Quick Contacts, that way I have all options enabled and ready to go when I need them.  You can tap on Shortcuts and Quick Contacts to edit the buttons displayed on the panel. 

Screenshot_20190705-090342.pngScreenshot_20190707-090035.png

This is what the Floating Bar looks like on your screen.  It hides itself in the side panel, and you can grab it to slide it up or down or to the left or right depending on how you want it shown on the screen. It fades out so that it’s not in focus when using other applications.

Screenshot_20190707-090049.pngScreenshot_20190707-090046.pngScreenshot_20190707-090921.png

The Floating Bar is a ridiculously handy feature, especially for quick app launching and screenshotting or creating GIFs.  It’s convenient, simple to use, and always there.

Always On Display

This feature seems to be prevalent across numerous handsets and manufacturers. It’s become a staple in the Android world, and on that I come to appreciate when my phone is on my desk or bedside table.  It uses very little battery due to the black screen, but keeps you updated on the time and notifications at a glance.

To turn it on navigate to Settings > Display > Always On Display and slide it to on.  Then, click the … to change the settings of the display. 

Screenshot_20190707-092146.png

You can change settings such as the clock type or what it displays, the ability to access more content, set time boundaries for when to use it/turn it off, and even make it brighter. 

Screenshot_20190707-092153.png

Pro tip: To change the style or color of the chosen Always On Display, just tap the selected option and you can choose a different color scheme for the time/date/other items. While doing this, you can also swipe left or right to reveal expanded offerings for the Always On Display that suit your liking.  Maybe you want the time in large font, maybe you don’t want to see battery life, or perhaps you want to place the photo of your puppy on the display. There are numerous options available for you to choose from that work for you.

Screenshot_20190707-092159.pngScreenshot_20190707-092210.png

Conclusion

The Floating Bar and Always On Display make transitioning to the LG G8 ThinQ easy, especially if you have come to rely on these features on other manufacturer handsets, or even upgrading from the LG G7 ThinQ.  Either way, you’ll be happy to find these features available on the LG G8 ThinQ. 

1 Comment
Sprint Product Ambassador

Nice write up