cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G8 ThinQ - What does the Camera Mean to Me

Sprint Product Ambassador

LG G8 ThinQ - What does the Camera Mean to Me

The LG G8 is equipped with 2 rear facing cameras a 12MP standard lens with a aperture of f/1.5 and the same 16MP wide angel lens with a aperture of f/1.9. It also includes a front facing 8MP camera with an aperture of f/1.7. The reason I am highlighting the aperture is these numbers reference how well the camera can handle low light situations. The lower the number the better the camera is in low light scenarios

I am no photographer. When some asks "can you take my picture" I try my best. That is why digital picture taking was my savior. I simply blast a bazilion pictures and choose the best and delete the rest. Now with LG adding in Artificial Intelligence (AI Cam) in the LG G8 device it makes picture taking even more of a pleasure. No longer do I need to change things manually, I let the camera choose and in doing so you can tell the quality is way better than the original. The AI Cam can recognize 19 categories and recommends 4 optimized filter options by adjusting the exposure, saturation, etc. it can produce a more vibrant image.

I tested this feature both with the standard lens and the wide-angle lens. Below are a few comparisons depending on what the AI Cam recognized. 

I was very impressed with how the AI Cam was able to create a better-quality photo. But if the AI Cam cannot determine the setting based on one of its categories the only other option is to change the settings yourself. As advised I am no photographer but using the manual mode you can modify the settings to where a picture can be taken with barely any light present. Both the LG G7 and the LG G8 have the same wide-angle lens so I wanted to compare the shots of a picture take at night utilizing manual mode.

Here are a few snapshots with the LG G8 wide angle lens utilizing different shutter speeds for comparison.

20190513_223341.jpg15 sec. f/1.9 2.18mm20190513_223352.jpg5 sec. f/1.9 2.18mm20190513_223402.jpg1 sec. f/1.9 2.18mm20190513_223438.jpg1/10 sec. f/1.9 2.18mm

While using the camera I also liked how portrait made my subject just pop out. 

20190511_124304.jpg

The last feature I wanted to highlight is the Spotlight feature. This option when enabled can provide an additional light source to balance out for bad lighting. 

normal pic.jpgNormal no Spotlightbrightness on left.jpgSpotlight added to left sidebrifhtness on right.jpgSpotlight added to right side

Here is a video which also shows how Spotlight works

As I pointed out I am no photographer. With the age of digital I was use to taking multiple pictures in the hopes of capturing a good one. Now with the added AI Cam I let LG choose for me and it seems to work out well in some situations. Though if I wanted to LG provides manual options to where taking a picture with no light present can bring out a image. With the added portrait and Spotlight mode my pictures take on an almost professional quality. For people like me who are simple point and shoot, LG makes us look great. 

Enjoy and remember never use your phone or tablet while driving, be safe and healthy.

Check out some of my other blogs on the LG G8 ThinQ:

LG-G8-ThinQ-Better-Performer-than-other-leading-devices

LG-G8-ThinQ-The-First-Mobile-Display-WITHOUT-a-speaker

Disclaimer:
        The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

1 Comment
Sprint Product Ambassador

Really cool