cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Stylo 3 Fingerprint Scanner, Gimmick or Sweet Feature?

Sprint Product Ambassador

When I get a new phone, I feel like a kid in a candy store. I can’t wait to try all of the new features and see which ones I like.  One of the most anticipated functions I had for the LG Stylo 3 was the fingerprint scanner. I wondered…will the Stylo 3 have a fingerprint scanner that taste sweet and will enhance my experience, or is it just a sticky gimmick that I will want to spit out after I try it?

The Setup:

The setup for the fingerprint scanner was quick and intuitive. The phone prompts you to scan your finger several times in different positions to help get a baseline. It then gives you an option to scan a second finger. I ended up scanning a finger on each hand so regardless of which hand I pick up my phone with I can unlock it.

Functionality:

After using the fingerprint scanner for three weeks now, I am very impressed with how well it works. I use my phone for work so I have always had a password, code, or connect the dot design to unlock my phone. This normally not an issue, but when I am tired or in a hurry to capture the moment with my camera I always fat finger the design and have to do it multiple times. The fingerprint scanner of the LG Stylo 3 eliminates that hassle. When I press the power button with my finger, it automatically scans it and unlocks the phone. The scanner/power button is conveniently placed on the back of the phone where my finger intuitively goes to support the larger phone.  

Speed and Reliability:

The fingerprint scanner identifies my finger print on the first scan over 90% of the time. When this happens, it unlocks the window within a second of pressing the power button. The only time it hasn’t recognized my fingerprint was when I was swimming, washing dishes, or at the gym with sweaty hands. When this happens, it opens up to the normal screen and requires you to either rescan your finger or unlock the phone with the password or connect the dot design.

Security:

There are a lot of articles and blogs out there that talk about how secure or unsecure the fingerprint scanner is on your phone. If you have highly secure information on your phone you may or may not want to use a fingerprint scanner to unlock your phone. If someone tries to break into my phone to get sensitive information, they are going to be greatly disappointed. For this reason, I feel pretty comfortable using a fingerprint scanner to unlock my phone.  

Conclusion:

The fingerprint scanner on the LG Stylo 3 is a sweet feature. It simplifies your life by letting you skip the hassle of entering a passcode while keeping your device secure. This feature is like the chocolate covered caramel in the box of chocolates. After you taste it once, you will never buy another box of chocolates without it.

James Smart

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

2 Comments
Journeyman

Hello. Help me Unlock GSM LG Stylo3 LS777 Sprint. LS777 ZV8 firmware.

Journeyman

This is my second time setting up my fingerprint access feature! Worked fine for a week! Then it would say unable to read fingerprint!  Tried cleaning sensor to no avail! Had a backup knockout code that wouldn't work either! Had no choice but to reset my phone! Tried a second time with same result! Unable to read fingerprint and password doesn't work either! Do not really want to reset phone a second time in 3 weeks! Any info on how I can get into my phone without a reset?