cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Tribute Dynasty Takes WiFi Calling to the Next Level with Calling PLUS - Sprint Product Ambassado

Sprint Product Ambassador

LG Tribute Dynasty Takes WiFi Calling to the Next Level with Calling PLUS - Sprint Product Ambassadors

CallingPlus.jpg

So if you read my blogs frequently, you already know I’m a real fan of WiFi calling. It’s because of this, which always makes LG a most welcomed visitor.  Practically all recently released LG phones showcase WiFi calling as a voice option.  However when checking out the LG Tribute Dynasty, you’ll see something new and unfamiliar.  The “WiFi Calling” option is missing and replaced with another icon labeled “Calling Plus”.  What is this?  Well first of all, “Don’t Panic” Wi-Fi Calling is there and just as good as it ever was.  This time its bundled with Sprint’s new LTE Calling which is yet another exciting option with some equally attractive features. You’ll find many situations where you’ll love both options.  For me however, WiFi calling will is still preferred and here’s some reasons why.

I generally use WiFi calling when I’m staying in a home (generally a rural place in the great North) where cell signal is either non-existent or spotty.  WiFi calling helps give me a more reliable experience.  One such example is when I visit my sister in VT/NH. In that region there are plenty of towers (in general), and Sprint Signal is not only existent but often strong in the bigger towns and cities.  However rural landscape has lots of mountains, hills and other natural obstructions making surrounding areas a bit more of a challenge. My sister’s house is a good example.  Voice is there, data occasionally but often very dependent on where you are standing and often a just few steps to the left or right makes all the difference if a call is lost or not received.

After many past visits, it almost got to a point when I considered traveling with a Sprint Airave just to help during my stay.  Thankfully this is also about the same time WiFi calling begun appearing on many popular handsets.  WiFi calling is totally heaven sent in certain cases and thus I use it pretty frequently.  Even in many cases where it’s not as even necessary.  At home, my signal is good but there are still a few corners of my house where the bricks are too thick or other reasons that impair me so I will use it at home (just as a little reinforcement).  Only drawback is I always need to keep in mind that I’ll need to end the call prior to leaving my house (as the WiFi signal will surely drop once switching back to cellular).

Well now here’s where things get interesting.  Enter “Calling Plus”, a nice new mixed mode of conventional WiFi calling with added LTE Calling. All integrated through one suite.  LTE Calling is pretty new so cut it some slack but it promises to be one exciting new tool in the ever changing way we use phones for voice calling and more particular, using voice simultaneously with other data functions.

Key Features for enabling both WiFi Calling and LTE Calling though “Calling Plus”

#1 – Start a call in WiFi and seamlessly stay on that call when switching to LTE Calling – this is super cool when you are on the go and fans of WiFi calling no longer need to worry about ending and restarting a call when leaving your router’s coverage.

#2 – Use Apps and Do Web Browsing While on a Call – You no longer have to end a call to look something up online or use those apps that require data service. Since LTE calling is using LTE data you can juggle your apps to all work at the same time on the same network.

Times when you want to just stick to WiFi Calling Alone

#1 Using Your Phone when Visiting Out of the USA – Even if your phone is not a world phone, bring your device as WiFi calling is a great way to stay connected. No more worrying about getting a disposable phone when arriving at your destination.  If you have some WiFi, than take advantage of unlimited voice and messaging back to the US.

#2 Rural Areas Like I Mentioned Above - Yes, in my case having LTE and WiFi Calling won’t give me much advantage. So it’s nice to just have the one and continue to use WiFi calling as needed.

I key thing to remember about the “Calling Plus” option is controls for “WiFi Calling” and “LTE Calling” are independent so you can enable either 1, both or none (depending on your needs).  LTE Calling is also still listed as “(Beta)” so cut is some slack if it’s not currently 100% and enjoy it more in coming months as things get better and more defined. Again, it’s super cool having so many options, making LG a Swiss Army Knife of mobile devices.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.