cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V40 ThinQ - Unboxing and First Impressions - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey Everyone!

I recently received the LG V40 ThinQ, and this phone is a huge step above any previous V-series handset LG has put out there!  I’m extremely excited to pilot yet another LG V-series handset.

First impressions of the handset inbound!

Device Specifications

Here are some device specs:

• 64 or 128 GB Storage
  • 4” POLED Screen (vs. 6.0” POLED on LG V30)
  • 3,300 mAh battery (same)
  • FIVE CAMERAS!
    • 12 MP OIS Main Cam (f/1.5) - Rear
    • 16 MP Super Wide Angle (f/1.9) - Rear
    • 12 MP 2x Telephoto Camera for better zoom! (f/2.4) – Rear
    • 8 MP (f/1.9) – Front
    • 5 MP Wide Angle (f/2.2) - Front
  • 6 GB RAM (vs 4GB LG V30)
  • MicroSD Card support up to 2TB (that’s a LOT of space)
  • Snapdragon 845 Chipset (vs. Snapdragon 835 on LG V30)

To see the full list of specifications, head to LG’s landing page for the V40!

First impressions

The LG V40 has a great out of box experience. The packaging, included contents (no headphones, sorry!), and the feel of the phone are great at first unboxing. Once the device is powered on, it must go through some initial setup; however, the setup of the LG V40 has yet again been simplified compared to previous iterations! I was able to set up the phone within about 5 – 10 minutes. 

Setup

One thing I really liked here was the extremely slimmed down setup process that a user has to go through to get up and running. It has always been a frustrating experience to go through 15 minutes of setup process just to start using a phone.  The V40 ThinQ really takes the time and cuts it down drastically to get you on your way with using the phone quickly.

Screen

The screen is clean, crisp, and beautiful. It’s .4” larger than the V30, which one wouldn’t think makes a significant difference; however, it is easily noticeable based on the increased real estate. It’s important to note that the phone doesn’t physically feel significantly larger than the LG V30, though.

Second Screen

LG’s “second screen” continues to make a debut on the V-Series handsets. The “Second Screen” is really the upper bar of the phone near the notification area, which includes the notch.  Yes, there is a notch; however, on the V-Series of phone I tend to like this notch setup.  During initial setup, you can customize how your Second Screen will look in LG Apps.  For example, you can have a squared look that minimizes the notch visibility, or you can extend it a bit to see the notch at the top of the screen. I prefer this one, because it gives me more real estate on the screen. Additionally, the notch tends to disappear depending on the application you’re in.   There are additional settings you can make to the Second Screen deeper in the settings that customize it for you depending on how you want it to look.  More on that perhaps in a later blog. 

Screenshot_2018-10-24-19-50-30.pngScreenshot_2018-10-24-19-50-36.png

Home Screen

The home screen is set up just like any other LG handset with the LG UI.  All of the applications are defaulted to the main screen, which can be a pain if you don’t like clutter or don’t want to spend the time to place all of your apps in a folder.  Initially, swipe down on the main screen to open the search to see recent applications, photos, emails, etc., However, during the initial setup process, the LG V40 explains this to you and gives you the opportunity to opt out of the all-inclusive Home Screen and separate things out a bit.  Simply tap “Go to Settings” to change from LG Home to Home & App Drawer.  This is the preferred method for me, as I don’t have the time to folder everything.  You can also enable the App drawer icon if you prefer. Otherwise, swipe up from any home screen and you’ll be taken to your app drawer quickly.

Screenshot_2018-10-24-19-54-32.pngScreenshot_2018-10-24-19-54-43.png

Home Touch Buttons

Further optimizing the available real estate on the phone, LG allows you to hid your home touch buttons at the bottom of the device.  When you’re in an application, you can double-tap the little square in the far left of your home touch buttons.  This hides the navigation bar until you swipe up from the lower edge of the phone, or until you go back to the Home Screen of the device.  This helps create more space on your screen for applications, photos, and videos.

Screenshot_2018-10-24-19-54-53.pngScreenshot_2018-10-24-19-54-57.png 

Removable Battery

No, this device does not have a removable battery.  I think we’re pretty well versed that many of the major handsets today do not have a removable battery; however, it’s still important that reminders are provided for people unfamiliar.

The LG V40 ThinQ, like other previous handsets, initially notify you that the device’s battery cannot be removed.  It explains that in the event of a frozen device (for the record here, this has yet to happen to me in at least 3 weeks of constant heavy use), you need to power down the device by pressing and holding the power button for eight (8) seconds.  The battery in the handset should never be removed by a user and instead only removed by a trained and certified technician.

Screenshot_2018-10-24-19-56-01.pngScreenshot_2018-10-24-20-00-50.png

Camera

The camera is beautiful. I don’t want ot spend too much time on the camera, as that’s a blog for another day, but it’s worth an honorable mention here.  The cameras on this device are beautiful, offer numerous options to capture the perfect shot, and the input options are extremely intuitive.

Once you open up the camera, it walks you through the use of the three rear cameras – The main cam, wide-angle camera, and super wide-angle camera. In fact, you can preview what the photo will look like in all three modes instantly by pressing and holding on one of the switcher buttons.  This pops out small preview windows.

Screenshot_2018-10-24-20-04-13.pngScreenshot_2018-10-24-20-04-26.png 

Here is the first shot I took on my LG V40 using all three cameras individually. I was standing in the same spot and alternated between the modes.  Worth noting here as well that this was in a semi-low-light situation. While my front porch light was on, it was set to about 70% brightness during these photos.

20181024_200449.jpgRegular20181024_200454.jpgWide20181024_200500.jpgSuper Wide 

In addition, the three cameras allow for a quick Triple Shot video to be taken.  I personally have not found a good use for this feature and tend to avoid it altogether. I’m sure there are uses for it that make sense; however, I have not yet found a setting that this functionality would be beneficial at this time.

Screenshot_2018-10-24-20-05-11.png 

Battery Life

The battery life has been fantastic over the last few weeks. I can make it nearly all day on a single charge while using numerous applications and having a significant number of background notifications (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, Inbox, etc.).  Although the battery remains at 3,300 mAh on the LG V40, it would appear that LG has optimized the use of the battery on this device through software modifications that ensure a full-day’s use of the handset.  I have to admit this is pretty impressive.

Overall impressions

I’ve been using the LG V40 for about three weeks now, and I have to admit that I am deeply impressed with the enhancements in hardware and software from the previous V-Series handsets.  The device is aesthetically pleasing, fits well in my hand, responds quickly and efficiently, and maximizes my use of the phone at every turn. 

The battery life, camera, and screen are some of my favorite features so far, and I continue to push the phone as much as I can throughout the day and week to see just what it can handle.  I have yet to be disappointed!

Just as with a couple of my other devices, I look forward to my journey with this one! I hope that you’ll stick around while I explore the devices I have in my lineup!

As always, thank you for stopping by to read this!  

Sprint Complete.png

Did you happen to already purchase the LG V40 and pass on the Sprint Complete Coverage?  Did you know it’s currently open enrollment for Sprint Complete?  It’s a good time to reconsider and look to adding Sprint Complete! Sprint Complete Open Enrollment runs from 11/02/2018 – 12/13/2018.  Sprint Complete includes numerous amazing features, including $29.00 cracked screen repair for eligible devices and unlimited Cloud Backup for your photos and videos!

Check out Open Enrollment Details here (Restrictions Apply)

Check out Sprint Complete Details here

When life happens, we’ve got your back!

Troy Glidden

Senior Manager - Store Operations and Process Improvement

Nashville, TN area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. 

Until next time!

1 Comment
Sprint Product Ambassador

Troy - nice write up and providing nice overview... Thanks!