cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V40 ThinQ - Whats Under the Hood

Sprint Product Ambassador

LG V40 ThinQ - Whats Under the Hood

The LG V40 ThinQ device is sporting the Qualcomm 845 chip with the new Adreno 630 graphics processor. It is the top of line chip in the market to date. This device uses all of its abilities and even comes out above its competitors when comparing in my tests. Clocking a speed up to 2.8Ghz on 8 core processors utilizing Qualcomms Kyro 385 CPU it is Qualcomms 2nd generation utilizing the 10nm design. 

845.JPG

As with all my phones I run a series of benchmark tests to determine the phone's ability to handle its processor and memory available. I like to know where my phone stands in comparison to other devices. I have tested the device using 4 different performance management software each yielded some great results. When I run my tests, I do this first before setting up any other application or service. I have minimal services running in the foreground or background so as to not skew my results. I also make sure my battery operational temperature is around 24-26 degrees Celsius. Overall the LG V40 ranked 26th among all devices and is better than 98% of phones that were tested (based on 3DMark results).

Screenshot_2018-10-26-20-10-21.png3DMarkScreenshot_2018-10-26-20-37-55.pngPCMark for AndroidScreenshot_2018-10-26-21-00-33.pngGeekBench 4Screenshot_2018-10-28-08-29-37.pngAntutu Benchmark

The Cellular connection utilizes the X20 LTE modem with a LTE category 18 for downstream and a LTE category 13 for upstream. Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO), and Carrier Aggregation (CA) Working in combination, these technologies will dramatically increase the effective bandwidth, providing enhanced communication performance and enabling boosting of UL/DL speeds. What this means is upstream has a carrier aggregation of 5x20 with up to 4x4 MIMO and download only features a 2x20 carrier aggregation.

Currently the LG V40 ThinkQ has the ability to support peak download speeds of 1.2Gbps and upload speeds of 150Mbps based on network support. 

Also incorporated in the 845 chip is the Wi-Fi 802.11ac with 2x2 integration and MUMIMO (Multi-user, multiple-input, multiple-output technology) This was created to support environments where multiple users are trying to access a wireless network at the same time. Typical Wi-Fi networks service connections on a first come, first serve basis. When multiple users begin accessing the router at or near the same time, congestion can be introduced as the router services the first user’s request while the second (and third, fourth, etc.) wait. As more and more users connect to wireless networks some issues may arise especially in a home environment with annoyances such as choppy video and continual buffering as these can really put a damper on the fun. MUMIMO technology allows a Wi-Fi router to communicate to multiple devices simultaneously decreasing waiting times for responses and increasing network speeds. This increase allows for better video streaming or live gaming experiences. Keep in mind not all routers and devices are set to utilize MUMIMO and therefore if your experience chopping or buffering issues look into possibly upgrading to one that does. 

SUMIMO.jpgMUMIMO.jpg

*pictures provided on behalf of TP-Link

The final change worth notating on the LG V40 ThinQ is the addition of Bluetooth 5.0. This low powered upgraded design was built with wireless headphones in mind. With prior Bluetooth versions wireless headphones required more power from the Bluetooth in order to function. this caused higher drains on battery. With Bluetooth 5.0 power consumption all audio devices communicate over Bluetooth Low Energy, which means reduced power usage and longer battery life.

BT5.JPG

Enjoy and remember never use your phone or tablet while driving, be safe and healthy.

Check out some of my other blogs on the LG V40:

LG-V40-ThinQ-Feature-Packed-High-Powered-One-of-the-BEST-phones

LG-V40-ThinQ-Reduce-Battery-Consumption-by-Enabling-Dark-Mode

Disclaimer:
        The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee