cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meet the Google Pixel 3a: Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

I have been in the wireless industry for a long time and can recall clearly the days when I was in sales and most phones were “free” or cost just a few dollars to obtain. Of course, there were catches to this with extensive contracts, complicated rebates, and other methods that physiologically made the phone seem cheap but in reality, was not true due to the higher monthly costs. Those days are long gone thankfully and now the consumer does see the real cost of the devices at least in theory.

Nowadays, the $1,000 flagship phone is the norm and people have come to expect to pay a high price for a perceived must have. I love gadgets but I also love leaving some change in my pocket to cover the little things like food, utilities, and life.

That is why there is a strong need for the much neglected middle tier of phones. These do not make the big splash but for most people will meet everyday needs at a reasonable price.  

The Google Pixel 3a just the ticket for a quality device at a price that will not make you feel like you have just taken on a student loan. At just $400, this is a phone you could buy on the spot and leave the stress of monthly payments behind. I will get on that soapbox later but for now, let's just meet the Google Pixel 3a.

Here are the specs:

• Display: 5.6 inch OLED
  • Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 670
  • Ram: 4GB
  • Storage: 64GB (not expandable)
  • Rear Camera: 12.2 MP with f/1.8 aperture
  • Front Camera: 8MP f/2.0 aperture and 84-degree field of view
  • Rear fingerprint sensor
  • Headphone Jack!
  • Battery 3,000 mAh with 18w fast charging. 15-minute charge delivers 7 hours of use
  • Colors:  Just Black; Clearly White; Purple-ish
  • 3 years of Google OS and security updates You get it first!
  • Titan M security chip to protect sensitive data
  • Quick Switch adaptor to transfer messages, contacts, and photos

You can check out my unboxing here: 

If the processor and ram sound midrange to you that is because they are. The internal storage of 64GB would have been amazing just a couple of years back and now seems minuscule. This space, however, is easily manageable by being sure to upload pictures to the cloud. The Pixel 3a is also pure Google which means it will come with less bloatware preloaded and so less space taken up with things you will not need.

The real star of this device that is causing a sensation of positive reviews is the camera. Google has equipped the 3a with the same camera and camera software as it’s flagship Pixel. As a picture lovin’ person, this is what excites me most, well besides the price. Did I mention it is only $400?

There two things about the phone that for sure take it off the flagship bar in addition to the RAM and storage. The phone does not have wireless charging and is not rated to be waterproof. I am outdoors a lot and the no waterproofing may end up being an issue for me.

Regardless, I am excited to get the Pixel activated and to start letting you know what I think. Be sure and follow me over on Instagram if you want to check out the pictures I will be uploading over the next several weeks and check back here for more.

What are your thoughts?  Does a mid-tier phone appeal to you? If not, why? I would love to hear from you on this issue.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee