cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto Actions on Moto Z2 Force Edition - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Moto Actions on Moto Z2 Force Edition - Sprint Product Ambassadors

MotoActions.jpg

So, it’s been a while since I’ve had a proper Motorola phone and a lot of cool things have been added since my days with the Photon 4G.  It’s these refreshing perks that certainly make owning the Moto Z2 Force Edition fun and exciting.  I love taking the time to learn each and every offering that I may have missed out on earlier.   One particular feature is called, “Moto Actions”.  Moto Actions are quick ways to integrate gestures in place of cumbersome keystrokes (or touches).  It provides shortcuts to some very practical and often used functions.  Although they might take a bit to get comfortable with (and remember), I’d recommend starting small.  Maybe only enable one “Moto Action” and then later another.   Give it a week and you’ll later wonder how you lived life without them.

Now I know what you’re thinking.  Great, I have even more stuff to learn.  I just figured out this whole Android thing and now I have to remember a whole bunch of extra stuff.  How is that easier?  Well that’s true (there’s more to learn) but like remembering hotkeys in Windows, these shortcuts can make for a very speedy experience.  Don’t stress, they are not too difficult to remember.  If you want to be successful I would first start small and go from there.

Try this:

On you home screen first locate your “Moto” icon that looks like this:

Moto_Icon.jpg

Form there we are going to expand the Moto Actions screen

MotoActions2.jpg

and turn on “Chop Twice for Flashlight” (it might already be turned on).  This one is super easy and a good way to get your feet wet with Moto Actions.  As its description would suggest, this enables you to turn on/off the “flashlight” function of your phone by doing two sharp chopping motions while holding your phone.  This is incredibly useful, I’ve found.  Especially useful when trying to find your key in the dark or other situations when you need a quick light and don’t want to stress bumbling around your screen to get there.

Once you have mastered the “Chop Twice for Flashlight”, a good second one to enable is “Twist for Quick Capture” which you would make two quick twist motions while holding your phone to turn on Camera.  I find that one less used (mainly because I forget that it’s enabled) but still very useful (once you get the hang of it).

Personally, the last one I have enabled is “Flip for Do Not Disturb” which silences all notifications and alarms.  This one is really cool when you are in a meeting or appointment and want to silence your phone but also don’t want to risk forgetting to turn back on after you are finished.  Just don’t forget to leave your phone face down on a table somewhere.

Ones that are available but I don’t personally use are:

“One button navigation”, which uses your finger print sensor to quickly navigate to your home screen, back, recent apps, lock screen and launch assistant.  I find it pretty easy to use but not too much of a time saver verses navigating normally.

“Swipe to shrink screen” is intended to quickly shrink screen and make the device easier to use one-handed.  It works but is a little tricky to get the touch just right.  I tried using it for a while but again, didn’t find it very useful or much easier to use than in standard mode.

“Pick up to stop ringing” if you get a phone call and pick up your phone, it immediately switches to silent mode until you answer the call. This can be pretty useful if you get a lot of telemarketing calls but not really that useful for me.  Whether enabled or not I generally answer (or ignore) rather quickly when a call is received so, it wasn’t super useful (for me at least).

“Approach for Moto Display” is one I could not get working for some reason. Perhaps because I have my phone locked or something else superseding it but again wasn’t very useful for me. .

All and all, I think Moto Actions are pretty cool.  Depending on who you are and what’s important to you some may be super useful, merely novelty or not really viable.  Regardless, think of these features as just a bonus, something you should check out and see if it fits you. You just might surprise yourself.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.