cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto Actions on Moto Z3 Play Edition - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Moto Actions on Moto Z3 Play Edition - Sprint Product Ambassadors

MotoActions.jpg

So one thing I loved about my former Z series phone (Z2 Force Edition) was the introduction of “Moto Actions”.  Moto Actions are quick ways to integrate gestures in place of cumbersome keystrokes (or touches).  It provides shortcuts to some very practical (and often frequently used) functions.  Do you want to turn the flashlight on, quick and easy?  Well, you could find the button on your home screen, tap it on and off… or wait…  Sharply shake your phone down twice and viola… Flashlight on.    Sharply shake your phone down twice again and viola… Flashlight off.  If any of this intrigues you, keep reading as there are some great Moto Actions that are still available since the Z2 and a few new ones, added to the new Z3 Play.

First things first, to Enable Moto Actions Try this:

On you home screen first locate your “Moto” icon that looks like this:

Moto.jpg

From there, tap on the “Features” tab and open up the Moto Actions window.

There you now have 10 separate “Moto Actions” to enable or disable.

To start, let’s enable the one we just talked about, “Chop Twice for Flashlight” (it might already be turned on).  This one is super easy and a good way to get your feet wet with Moto Actions.  As its description would suggest, this enables you to turn on/off the “flashlight” function of your phone by doing two sharp chopping motions while holding your phone.  This is incredibly useful, I’ve found.  Especially useful when trying to find your keys in the dark or other situations when you need a quick light and don’t want to stress bumbling around your screen to get there.

Once you have mastered the “Chop Twice for Flashlight”, a good second one to enable is “Twist for Quick Capture” which you would make two quick twist motions while holding your phone to turn on Camera.  I find that one less used (mainly because I forget that it’s enabled) but still very useful (once you get the hang of it).

The last one I typically have enabled is “Flip for Do Not Disturb” which silences all notifications and alarms.  This one is really cool when you are in a meeting or appointment and want to silence your phone but also don’t want to risk forgetting to turn back on after you are finished.  Just don’t forget to leave your phone face down on a table somewhere.

Try those first three and if you like them, read on for even more options on the Z3 Play.

The other Moto Actions available are:

“Lift to Unlock” – This one uses your front camera to recognize your face and thus, unlock your phone.  Similar to the security method used by some other phone, you now can have it on your Android.  (New on the Z3)

“Media Controls” – Gives you the ability to change media tracks when the screen in locked. Press and hold the Volume UP or DOWN keys to change a track forward or back. (New on the Z3)

“Screenshot Editor” – I haven’t mastered this one yet. Basically, after taking a screen shot, it immediately allows you to view and edit it. (New on the Z3)

“Three finger Screenshot” – This one is getting more useful.  Rather than holding the power+volume down buttons for a screenshot, you just need only take three fingers and tap them on the screen to do a quick screenshot. (New on the Z3)

“One button navigation”, which uses your finger print sensor to quickly navigate to your home screen, back, recent apps, lock screen and launch assistant.  I find it pretty easy to use but not too much of a time saver verses navigating normally.

“Swipe to shrink screen” is intended to quickly shrink screen and make the device easier to use one-handed.  It works but is a little tricky to get the touch just right.  I tried using it for a while but again, didn’t find it very useful or much easier to use than in standard mode.

“Pick up to stop ringing” if you get a phone call and pick up your phone, it immediately switches to silent mode until you answer the call. This can be pretty useful if you get a lot of telemarketing calls but not really that useful for me.  Whether enabled or not I generally answer (or ignore) rather quickly when a call is received so, it wasn’t super useful (for me at least).

NOTE: One Moto Action that was on the Z2 but not on the Z3 was:

“Approach for Moto Display” This one never worked right and I’m not surprised it was removed. I wouldn’t bother remembering it as the Lift to Unlock took its place.

All and all, I think Moto Actions are pretty cool.  Depending on who you are and what’s important to you some may be super useful, merely novelty or not really viable.  Regardless, think of these features as just a bonus, something you should check out and see if it fits you. You just might surprise yourself.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.