cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto e4 - It's pretty tough! - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hello everyone!

Last week I wrote about the camera on the Motorola e4, and this week I want to take it to the durability of the device.

I am a klutz with my devices at times, especially when they're so light and "slippery" in my hands. The Moto e4 fits both of these categories, at least for me. I am used to having much heavier phones such as the LG V20 and LG G6, and switching to a much lighter phone causes me to drop my device more than I would like.  To put it in perspective, the LG V20 weighs 6.14 oz., the LG G6 weighs 5.75 oz. and the Moto e4 weighs 5.29 oz. (Specs courtesy of Phone Arena). Although it may not seem like a significant difference between devices, it is surely enough to notice!

In addition to the weight, the back housing of the phone is plastic and slippery in my hands. I live in an area where humidity is not an issue, which tends to keep my hands very dry. I don't get the "clammy hands" like people in higher humidity areas may experience, thus my device isn't bonded to my hand (Gross, right?). Because of the pattern on the plastic, as opposed to glass or a more rugged case option, it tends to slip from my hands a bit more often than other devices. This is not the fault of the device, but rather how I hold my phone and how accustomed I am to other phones.

The Moto e4 is durable, however. I have dropped the device probably three times in the few short weeks that I have owned it (I know, I know..). The most significant drop was onto my concrete walkway outside of my home. I dropped the device about three feet onto a corner and the side of the device in a somewhat cartwheel motion, which surprisingly did not shatter or crack the display. The device flipped over to the screen a continued to slide ever so gracefully about 6 - 8 inches until it came to a rest. I was cringing with fear thinking that my device would be cracked or shattered upon flipping it over and looking at the screen, yet much to my surprise it had not been harmed! There were minimal surface scratches, but nothing significant in the display like I had anticipated. The real damage, however, was in the corner and side of the device where the concrete left its bite marks in the plastic. You can see this below in the images (click to expand them if you cannot see easily!).

The Moto e4 is a tough little bugger, which is something I tend to need with my level of klutz at times. Although the device is tough, there is obviously likely to be a breaking point somewhere along the line. My recommendation is to find a case that fits the device so that it can be protected from hard impacts should it fall from your hand or pocket or car seat. A case also increases control of the device so that it doesn't slip away.

If you tend to be a little tough on your phones, then the Moto e4 might just be the phone for you. However, keep in mind that it isn't Superman and will likely take a beating over time or with enough force.

Photos: 

IMG_20170812_215553828.jpgNot a scratch on the screen!IMG_20170812_215524648.jpgCouple of gouges on the bottom left corner from concreteIMG_20170812_215626817.jpgAnother bite mark from the concrete. OUCH!

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Manager

Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.