cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto is right in the mix with build quality on the E4

Sprint Product Ambassador

The Motorola E4 makes no bones about being a mid-range device.  The specs are one or two levels off of what you would expect from a flagship handset, but they have also taken the same approach as the other OEM’s in the US that have bumped up their mid-range game with solid, durable, phones that can perform at high levels, but without a high cost.  So how does the E4 differentiate?

Motorola has always been known for its durability.  In the hey-day of the Razor flip phones and other iconic feature phones, Motorola always produced handsets that could hold up to heavy daily use over a period of years, and not be any worse for the wear.  We don’t have a sample of ‘years’ for the E4, but the durability factor is there.  The uni-body has a ‘cheap’ feel at first because of the plastic materials, but once it bounces around your pocket for a few weeks, you’ll suddenly realize that this is a throwback to Motorola’s dedication to durability.  I’ve had multiple drops from my pockets, where the phone just slides out and lands on the hardwood floor, or the floor of my car, or the pavement just outside of my car.  I don’t’ have any scratches on the screen, nor do I have any cracks. 

THIS IS NOT A CHALLENGE.  I’M NOT ASKING YOU TO BUY THE PHONE AND START DROP TESTS.  THIS HAS BEEN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IS ALL.

Maybe I’m lucky… probably I’m lucky, because with other devices, I’ve dropped it inside of my car and the screen has cracked against the metal supports for the seats.  I am very impressed with the feel of it, and even though it feels a little flimsy initially, as I start to realize my fulfillment with the device, a large portion of that comes from the feeling of durability that it imparts.

I wouldn’t be averse to handing this to one of my kids, either the teen, or the tween just two years behind him.  I have all of the confidence in Motorola’s design and build, and I think it’s a great match between being economically reasonable with a high end durability feel and form in praxis, which may not be evident out of the box, but which you’ll quickly realize after using it for a week or two.

D

• Moto e4
  • motorola e4