cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Moto Z3 Play vs. My $5 Used Insta-Share Projector - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Motorola Moto Z3 Play vs. My $5 Used Insta-Share Projector - Sprint Product Ambassadors        

Splash1.jpg

So one thing I love about the Z series, is whatever Moto Mods you own currently will be sure to work with the next Z series phone.  So if you get attached to something, you don’t have to let it go.  If you want the next greatest Z device, migrate without guilt as all your Mods will work just fine.   Case in point is the used Insta-Share projector that I found at the Flea Market the other week.  Now first a disclaimer, your chances of finding a Insta-Share projector for $5 are probably next to zero but this blog is merely a tail to illustrate how Moto Mods are #1 VERY well built, #2 Backward/Forward Compatible and #3 Can Be Found Second Hand.  This is especially true when any Mod that was given away as a promotion, as with the Moto Z2 Force and the Insta-Share projector.  In other words, keep your eyes open as a deal might be lurking around the corner.

About the projector: So I go to my local flea market a lot and a general sight that I typically see is a basket full of tech junk bundled together without any rhyme or reason.  Nothing ever has a price and functionality is often questionable but if you feel lucky and/or are good fixing stuff, the gamble is often worth it.  Besides most things are typically a couple bucks and what could possibly go wrong with a wire or adapter, anyways?  The Insta Share Projector I found was just that, among the discarded.  Perhaps abandoned or presumed not working, I still held a spark or hope for it and thus when I heard a $5 asking price, I figured it was no more risky than a lottery ticket or countless other purchases I’d done over the years.  Besides, I have been lucky fixing stuff, maybe it just needed some TLC.1-01.jpg

1-02.jpg

1-03.jpg

Queue forward a few months and the moment of truth… Does this rather beat up Moto Mod actually work?  How about the Moto Z3 Play?  Is it compatible?  Well, have no doubts as one thing I’ve grown to expect from Motorola is things are built well and built tough.  Despite countless bumps and bruises, the Insta Share projector lights up, works great and immediately gets recognized by the Z3 Play. Super Cool and WOW, impressively rugged for something I’d imagine to be… fragile. 

So how does my new Moto Z3 Play work with the Insta Share projector?  In a word, Excellent!  The Moto Z3 comes fully equipped with Moto Mods Platform Version 2.5 and uses the Moto Mods manager 02.05.008.  It recognizes the Moto Mod right off the bat.  You can click “About this Moto Mod” to see the current software version (mine is 0.79), UID, Search for Software updates, Reboot the Moto Mod or reply the Tutorial that starts up when the Mod is first installed. You can also monitor the battery life of your Moto Mod.   In the case of the Insta Share projector, it contains a separate battery (Which mine charges to 100%).  NOTE: You can either charge it directly by plugging into the Mod itself or it will charge through your phone, once your battery reaches its full charge.

If you are interested in getting an Insta Share projector for your Z3 Play, I’m told the battery life varies a bit.  I haven’t tested endurance but I haven’t seen anything ridiculous during the brief demos I’ve done.  In dark room the projector is plenty bright (SD resolution) and although it’s said to reach up to a 70” picture, I’ve stretched it even further (although sacrificing brightness).  It runs quiet and surprisingly cool.  The bulb is not replaceable but lasts MUCH longer than a typical LCD projector (like 8-10X longer).  The true highlight is its size.  It’s tiny and packs a lot of features in that small package.  You can control the keystone manually or it actually does a good automatic keystone.  I’ve tested it with most popular streaming apps and the movie experience is just awesome for such a tiny device.  The Moto Z3 Play’s speakers sound clear and you can enhance things further with an external Bluetooth speaker.

Although you can easily remove the Insta Share from the back of the Moto Z3 Play, I’ve left mine attached 24-7.  It has an acceptable weight, a good grip and best of all, a nice kickstand.  Whether you want to use the projector or not the back fin doubles as one super-steady and versatile kickstand. 

So what do you get out of this?  It kinda sounds like I’m just bragging about a good deal I got and that is certainly true.  However, no deal like this is worth anything without a good foundation to build on and the Z3 Play is just that a strong foundation.  Read more about all the ways the Z3 Play is the best phone for you in my upcoming blogs. Learn how the features available on the Z3 Play help you get the most out of any Moto Mod and other ways to get the most out of your Moto Z3 Play.  Also, when considering Moto Mods, ask around and see what you can get second hand.  Mods are durable.  Maybe get some classic mods used so you can spend money on the new Mods released.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.