cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Z2 Force - Camera-mazing features - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hello everyone!

Today’s topic is the camera quality on the Motorola Z2 Force.  Most photos can be taken very well using automatic settings, yet the use of manual mode makes the camera even better!

Camera details

First, let’s look at the details of the camera on the Motorola z2 Force Smartphone

Rear Camera:  The rear camera of the device features TWO 12MP “IMX 386 Sensors (1 Bayer, 1 Clear) with a f/2.0 aperture. The camera has Phase Detection Auto Focus (PDAF) with laser auto focus.

Front Camera: the front camera is a single 5 MP camera with a f/2.2 aperture with a wide-angle 85 degree lens.

Specs courtesy of Motorola HERE

Rear Camera.jpg

The camera application has numerous features such as selective focus, selective black & white, and pro mode. The selective focus allows you to choose what you want in focus in a shot and the selective B&W allows you to keep one part of the photo colored while the other is B&W.  I will say that neither of these features are ones that I have used extensively or have examples of because these are not my ‘go to’ modes for taking shots. I find myself not planning it out well and simply just snapping on the go without planning ahead of time!  I plan to use these more extensively as I move forward with the device, but as of the time of this writing I have not.

Manual mode

The manual mode on the camera is a great way to get pro features out of the camera. You can adjust the White Balance, focus, shutter speed, ISO, exposure, etc. As you can see below, there are numerous features and the camera application makes them easy to use while on the fly.

Pro Cam.jpgPro mode functionality

I’ve used the pro mode a few times both at concerts and when I was attempting to take some photos of the Solar Eclipse last month! (concert photos taken from a distance away from the stage, so blurry photos are due to distance and zoom)

Here are some shots I took from those events:

IMG_20170821_101326262.jpgECLIPSE (through solar glasses)IMG_20170819_222043722_LL.jpgKip Moore ConcertIMG_20170819_222031604_LL.jpgKip Moore ConcertIMG_20170819_220924266_LL.jpgKip Moore ConcertIMG_20170819_220920389_LL.jpgKip Moore ConcertIMG_20170819_220915454_LL.jpgKip Moore Concert

I am not a pro by any means, so my use of the Pro Mode is to really learn how to use the various functions of the camera to get that perfect shot. I am learning slowly, but I am getting more and more improved as the pro mode features of smartphone cameras improve over time.

Auto mode

Auto mode is by far my automatic go to mode when snapping shots. I like this mode because it perfectly balances the conditions at hand with the right shot. It is isn’t always perfect (on any camera), but it does very well in many situations. 

Here are some auto-mode shots that I like from using my device!

IMG_20170810_211740772.jpgBoise Hawks vs Eugene EmeraldsIMG_20170811_204250952.jpgSpacebar Arcade - Boise, IDIMG_20170815_195159465_HDR.jpgPDX Aiport @ Dusk Ft. Alaska AirlinesIMG_20170816_194442793_HDR.jpgMy kiddosIMG_20170816_194529870_HDR.jpgLLSBWS - Alpenrose Stadium - Portland, ORIMG_20170818_193403513.jpgPlumeria!IMG_20170819_125959539_HDR.jpg2/3 of my puppersIMG_20170821_100104697_HDR.jpgSurreal colors during eclipse (hard to see on camera!)

Background Replace – Depth Enabled

A really cool feature of the device is “Depth enabled.”  It allows you to change the focus and selective B&W as mentioned before, and it also allows you to have some fun with your photos with replacing the background images. 

To do this, simply open your camera, click the 3 dots for the menu tree, Click Depth Enabled and then snap a photo. Then, go into your photos and click the edit button and choose “Depth Editor.”  From there, you can choose how you want to edit the photo using the given methods.  As an example, I took a photo of my desk and replaced the background with a photo of space to simulate looking out my window into it. It’s corny at times, sure, but it sure makes for fun photos and there can likely be some real-world applications of this.  For example, if your friend couldn’t go on vacation with you, perhaps you could take a snapshot of a picturesque landscape and insert your friend there to create the illusion that he or she was there! Smiley Tongue

Here is my office looking into space and the before photo:

IMG_20170910_132941.jpgSpace view!IMG_20170910_132902489_DEPTH.jpgBoring View -_-

Front Camera

The front camera and the LED flash make for great front-facing photos!  Even without the flash, the low-light mode on the camera is fantastic. However, the flash makes it more convenient to ensure you get a clear shot of your friends and family! 

I took a few photos at a concert recently with the front-facing camera using the LED Flash:

Also, the front-facing camera is great in a non-flash environment as well!  The images are very clear:

IMG_20170819_220633796.jpg

Overall:

The camera on the Z2 Force is truly a force to be reckoned with. It is speedy, highly functional, and most importantly of all, it’s easy to use! The camera is just one of many highly useful features on the Z2 Force, and a primary reason why I would recommend purchasing this device.  If photos are something you focus on, then the Z2 Force is the device for you.

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Manager

Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.