cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Z2 Force - No Headset jack? No problem! - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hello everyone!

Today’s topic is the lack of a headphone jack and why it isn’t really that big of a deal!  I know, I know, you need that jack, but I promise it isn’t that big a deal!

What?! No Headphone Jack?!

That’s right, the Motorola Z2 Force does not have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Neither do some other higher-end devices on the market! We have hit a point where device manufacturers are looking at every opportunity to maximize real estate on devices and with the consistent improvements made in wireless audio, the need for wired headphones is slowly declining. Sure, you could argue that it is a way to force consumers into purchasing more expensive, wireless headsets, but I would argue that there are some cost-effective wireless headsets available that cost less than a set of some wired headphones.

In the box

The Motorola Z2 Force comes with an adapter that connects to your device to create a headphone jack. Motorola knew it would be a point of contention for some people and knew it would be best to include a piece to help users transition away from wired headsets.

The small black cable (about 4” long) is a USB-C to 3.5MM jack that turns your charging port into the headset jack.

IMG_20170920_1814312.jpg

Pros and Cons

Pros of no headphone jack:

• No tangles, no mess
  • Sound quality can be much improved
  • Headset jack won’t wear out over time
  • You can’t get your wireless headset plug-in broken/stuck in the device
  • Thinner phone

Cons of no headset jack:

• Cannot charge device while using adapter
  • Adapter could be easily misplaced
  • Traditional wired headset look/feel is missing

Verdict

The pros list, at least to me, is better than the cons. Wireless provides the best experience because headsets have gotten more compact, more comfortable, and more robust in features. In addition, many wireless headsets are more affordable, making it easier to pick one up.

While the Moto Z2 force comes with an adapter to turn your charging port into a headphone jack, it does remove the ability to charge the phone at the same time if you’re using a wired headset. I get it, though, you want to use the wired headset and I can’t blame you. A workaround is to pick up the Moto Turbopower pack. Check out Motorola’s site on it here.  The Turbopower Pack adds a 3,490 mAh battery to the Z2 Force in a snap, which can also be charged independently from the device!  This means you can charge your device and use the headphone adapter at the same time! Problem solved.

If you will be using wired audio, I encourage you to connect the adapter to your favorite set of headphones that you tend to use the most often. This will help keep it from being lost.

However, I still truly believe that wireless is the best way to go. It frees up tangled messes, it relieves the headphone jack from taking a beating (or collecting random pieces of fibers and dirt), and allows our phones to be thinner, prettier, and more efficient (with design).

IMG_20170920_1814441.jpg

The decision to go wired or wireless is truly up to you!

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Manager

Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.