cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Bixby Beta Experience

Sprint Product Ambassador

I've been fortunate enough to have been chosen to beta test Bixby and provide feedback - sorta.

How did I get selected? I kept my notifications from Samsung turned on. I got and email and a notification asking if I'd like to beta test.  So, that's that.. nothing special and nothing to do with my Ambassador title. I said yes - and was allowed to test. 

Bixby mpressions:  What it's capable of doing so far it does very well.

When I say 'Hi Bixby, what's the weather today' it not only tells me the weather, but opens up the native weather app to today's hourly results.  

When I say 'Hi Bixby, Open Spotify' it will open spotify, however if I ask it to play spotify (or audible) it won't begin playing music or an artist if requested. 

'Hi Bixby' works from the lock screen, but only in a 'trusted place'. 

Also, if you use the native calendar app from Samsung you'll find Bixby integrates with the Calendar and Mail apps for searching and to tell you your schedule. Unfortunately there's no Gmail or Google Calendar support - yet.  I'm hoping it will start to integrate with Google apps as well, as the Bixby Button does show my google apps. 

As a beta tester I get to tell Bixby when it's answering my questions/commands properly or when it's not... and a list of expected outcomes populates for me to choose from. They just need to add an 'other' option in case the option you want isn't there. 

Screenshot_20170710-154418.pngAsked where to get my oil changed. Gave me solution and asked me to rate the response.

Screenshot_20170710-155033.pngWhen it doesn't get an answer correct you can let it know why...

It's a work in progress, but so far there's some things it does very well. I'm getting used to swapping between 'Hi Bixby' and 'OK Google', though I'd like to settle on just one eventually.  Saying 'OK Google' always feels kind of weird/silly to me - 'Hi Bixby' is smoother and rolls of the tongue easier. 

I've seen some updates come through - though I don't know when the full version will go live for all, know that it's in the works. 

I've also found that Bixby wakes up on it's own... sometimes without any prompting it starts to take dictation. Even other peoples voices that aren't 'trusted' or 'trained' have started Bixby up and taking direction. Unfortunately, for that reason I've had to turn off 'voice' for Bixby from settings when I don't want to use it.  I just don't want it to accidentally call or text someone. 

I do turn it back on and test it, but in the current state...that is a deal breaker. Unfortunately i've had no way of providing that feedback. 

Cheers - 

Rick

https://community.sprint.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/721830

Interested in knowing more about the Galaxy S8 Plus, Bixby or the Gear 360 camera?  Ask me!   

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee." My opinions are my own. I am a Device Advocate for Sprint Devices... I am not a Sprint or Device Manufacturer spokesperson.

2 Comments
Journeyman

my take on Bixby is that the technology is not ready for voice, unless everyone is more robotic in their speech. machines r not yet ready to interpret emotions, inflections, dialects, ..., the list is endless. the same way that going from keyboard to mouse to touch screen hasn't reached a destination yet. if people COULD be more robotic in everyday speech(and i see it coming), then it would be 1 giant leap for the technological phone world. and then there's always "u say tomäto, i say tomāto"!!!

Sprint Product Ambassador

I think we've trained people to do that when calling in to almost any company's IVR. I feel like I have to speak like a robot in order to make it to my destination over the phone. I agree with you, though the tech is catching up. The AI will learn, and eventually pick up inflection, dialects etc.  

Though, I'm not so sure we as a culture are necessarily ready for that yet either.