cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ShatterShield™? No Problem. Moto Z3 Play Edition - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

No ShatterShield™? No Problem. Moto Z3 Play Edition - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Shattershield.jpg

So sometimes it’s nice to look back and see what changes from phone to phone.  The Moto Z3 has does a great job building on a strong foundation and added to each and every one of their offerings.  However, one thing that seems to have disappeared since the Moto Z2 is their branded ShatterShield™ screen.  For those who don’t remember this was a multi-ply screen that claimed being full shatterproof and backed this claim by a 4 year warranty. On my Z2 phone, I can certainly attest to the fact I never got a shattered screen despite several notable drops. However one thing I did eventually get was small scratches which eventually got annoying and was not covered by the warranty. Why was this?

Moto ShatterShield™ consisted of five separate layers 1.) Exterior Protective Lens 2.) Interior Lens 3.) Dual Touch Layer 4.) AMOLED Display and 5.) Aluminum Chassis.  It was this multi-layer design that helped absorb the impact and protect against a shattered screen.  It definitely did its job but the first layer (Exterior Glass) had to be soft and bendable.  The softness made it bounce back but not resistant at all to scratches contact with rough objects. The scratches would not harm the functionality, as the touch layer was two layers deep but an extra screen protector became necessity and likely a onetime application.

In Lieu of the Moto ShatterShield™, the Moto Z3 Play has Corning Gorilla Glass 3 (scratch resistant glass) which I can honestly say has fared much better in my pocket.  That isn’t to say it’s doesn’t still have a degree of shatterproof properties inherently though.  I won’t deny having been and will always be a clutz.  In a few short weeks, the Z3 Play has already seen its share of air time and sudden drops. One constant remains, with all these mishaps is my screen has remained unshattered.  Some of my more notable drops involved missing my belt holster entirely (Yes, I still use a holster) and crashing to the ground leaving my Z3 flying to one side of the room and my Insta-Share Projector Moto Mod flying to the other side.  Thankfully both hardly had a scratch and added weight of the Moto mod was not a concern. 

So what does all this mean to me and what should it mean to you.  If you are even the slightest bit put off seeing ShatterShield™ missing from the specs, put all your apprehension to rest. Corning Gorilla Glass 3 is a great choice for this phone and plenty tough enough to take an occasional fall.  You also get the benefit of not needing to worry about what touches your phones screen and if you need to worry about scratching it (Which in my opinion is much more likely).

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

1 Comment
Journeyman

My phone should support 4G 1900 MHz and 850 MHz in Sprint . Can you messange me and I can share you IMIE so it is whitelisted in Sprint
xiaomi-mi-mix-2
4G 1900 MHz . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
850 MHz . . . . . . . . . . . . . .