cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over Five Weeks with the Moto Z2 Force Edition - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Over Five Weeks with the Moto Z2 Force Edition - Sprint Product Ambassadors

5 Weeks.jpg

So, I’ve had the Moto Z2 Force Edition by my side for over five weeks now.  Five weeks is a pretty good opportunity to battle test things and I think its fair time to give everyone my overall review of the Z2 Force.  This review is not only looking at the Z2 Force as a device but also as a companion, which phones often end up being. 

There are a whole lot I “loves” about the Z2 Force, but with that love, there are also a couple warnings that should go mentioned.  These aren’t inheritably problems or flaws but just things I noticed.  These little safeguards will allow you to enjoy your Z2 Force, without worry so read on for more observations.

Screen:

First of all, one of the main features the Moto Z2 Force Edition lures you in with is a “shatter proof” screen.  Now that alone is pretty bold of a statement and not one to be considered lightly.  Using a special multi layered screen construction, Motorola has essentially created an internal air cushion to further absorb the shock of a drop.  Does it work?  Well, my experience supports it pretty well.  Over the last 5 weeks, I can safely say this phone was unintentionally dropped no fewer than 10 times and the majority of those times proving pretty significant.  Each time with no damage. It also should be known this phone was dropped with no case, screen protector or any other safety device. Also, the phone fell with enough impact to where my Moto Mod detached off the back and neither my Mod not the Z2 Force sustained any damage.  In cases where the screen fell flat on the ground, the LCD screen took a hard hit but remained unshattered, as expected.

True, the screen is super strong but, every strength has a weakness.  This screen remarkably was unshattered with multiple drops but its Achilles Heel was living in my pocket for 10 minutes with some loose.  Did it wreck the screen?  No, but the change did create some light marks (scratches) on the soft outer layer of the panel.  Thus I would HIGHLY recommend using some kind of 3rd party screen protector to protect it further from direct contact with pocket items or a drop onto a less than flat surface (Like a rough sidewalk). This trivial expense is very workable.  I honestly should have done the due diligence but I thought I was saving a buck.  Do the extra effort and don’t let this sway you.  The “Shatter-Proof” will prove more important in the long run.  Just start off with a little added cover and you’ll be much happier.

Moto Mods:

Moto Mods are awesome! They work and end up being very versatile.  Best of all, they are fully backwards compatible.  If you have any Mods from the original Moto Z phone, they work fine on the Moto Z2 Force Edition, so upgrade your phone and keep your Mods going indefinitely (from this phone to next).  There are also more exciting Mods on the horizon as well.  I only have a word of caution with this and only if you are not currently using mods. 

Connecting mods is super easy.  They attach using magnets, precision alignment, and a rear interface grid (with the needed contacts). These contacts are exposed if there is no mod attached.  Although harmless, I kinda question if wear and tear might have any adverse effects if you choose to add a Mod later.  What does that mean?  Well, I can’t tell you what to do but if I wasn’t using a mod at the moment, I’d at least get some form of rear phone cover (just to protect the contacts).  This does two things.   First it adds a little weight and grip. The Moto Z2 Force Edition pretty thin and feather light. This almost feels too much so and a cover really normalizes the handset to something more familiar. Secondly and most importantly, it keeps that port completely covered and safe from tarnish, foreign residue and other physical damage.   

Now keep in mind this observation is purely opinion and speculation.  I have never seen a well-worn Z2 Force and only basing my suspicion on the kind of wear I’ve seen on other devices. Better safe than sorry in my book, and the cost of a case is rather trivial.

LCD Screen Quality:

Moto really makes screens that are sharp and easy on the eyes.  I have nothing but good things to say about color, brightness and overall visibility under a variety of light conditions. The Moto “Night Display” mode is a must have feature that you are sure to want and enable. I have torture tested this screen with countless hours of stable images and never once saw any screen burn or image retention.  It never feels like it’s running too hot under the glass and just an utter pleasure to use and watch for even extended periods of time.  HD movies look good I welcome all my free time, watching countless programs on my phone.

Motorola Layout / Speed and Ease of Use:

Based on the Android 7.1.1 OS, I think Motorola’s layout is clean, organized and performs very well.  No notable bloatware and I didn’t have any trouble navigating this phone.  Everything feels really natural.  The fingerprint reader is quick, responsive and feels good. The volume rocker and power switch on the side of the handset is appropriately placed and overall I think there are no pet peeves or unexpected performance gripes. It always feels swift, responsive.  So much so, I’m a little tempted to try some higher spec games in the near future. Although I’m not much of a gamer (especially on Android), I have no doubt this phone has enough muscle to remain meaningful for years to come.

Again, I’m really happy with what I’ve seen from Motorola in the last few years and the Moto Z2 Force Edition is no exception to that excellence.  Motorola has always in the past and presently had great ideas and a very forward thinking way of bringing things to market. Some of my fondest memories were made with my Motorola Photon 4G and its matching Lapdock.  I’d love to see something similar in the form of a Moto Mod but only time will see if that ever becomes so.  Regardless, Moto definitely pushes the envelope and through this release and next, I’m all too excited to see what’s on the horizon.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.