cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overall Impressions of the Moto e4 PLUS as compared to the Moto e4 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Overall Impressions of the Moto e4 PLUS as compared to the Moto e4 - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So my last blog regarding the Moto e4 PLUS involves the overall impression I have with the device.  More particularly how the Moto e4 PLUS builds on, enhances and ultimately surpasses what the basic e4 offers.  Now before I get too deep into this, I want to reassure you that that smaller e4 is by no means a lack luster device.   Truth be told, I actually think the e4 is better suited for me (more below).  However, for users looking for a bit more, the e4 PLUS will give you many features seldom seen within this price point.

BIGGER IS BETTER:

The Moto e4 PLUS gives you bigger. You get a bigger screen, a bigger battery and a better experience overall.  Although it shares much of the same software layout of the basic e4, you run things on a much larger format. If you have big hands like I do, you’ll probably have a much better grip on the keyboard and the overall navigation will be easier. To me, 5.5 inch screens feel like a sweet spot.  The Moto e4 PLUS feels right in line with that.  Because this phone just feels right in hand, it’s also good they give you a beefy 5,000 mAh battery.  Use this phone freely and worry less about the charging in between. Rated at 37 hours talk time, this is truly an exciting device that’s designed to endure a very active work day.

The Moto e4 PLUS gives you better interface options. In particularly, the Moto e4 PLUS has finger print recognition via the front sensor. This is becoming standard for most flagship phones and seldom seen in phones of this price range.  Finger print recognition is becoming more and more needed for security purposes and pretty much already deployed with many of your favorite apps.  This added piece of might be something to consider when purchasing a fleet of phones for your company or just a quick replacement to a family member who likes to lose things. There is a lot to be said about the more safeguarding that a device can offer you.

The Moto e4 PLUS Price – The Moto e4 PLUS is offered at a very competitive price and even more so with leasing options. If you prefer to buy the device outright, you are looking at $270 today with no promotions, which it a fraction of why you would pay on a flagship phone.  Especially if you have multiple devices to get, this might be the best phone for price alone. Lease options are also very attractive and can save you money in the long run (especially if you routinely upgrade devices).   Under Sprint Flex 18/mo lease you only have to be out $10/mo.  Pretty economical especially if juggling multiple devices on a family plan or small business.

The reasons above are all valid things to consider the e4 PLUS as a clear choice but I still seem to prefer the e4, why?

REASON WHY THE BASIC e4 WORKS BETER FOR ME:

So with all that above, why could I ever say the basic e4 works better for me?  Well, I guess that’s just because I see the e4 in a totally different light. The basic e4 is something different. I’ve used it for equally as long and in many ways had an equally good experience. I see it maybe as not a primary device although if I was stuck using the e4 for an extended period of time, I would be perfectly happy.  What separates the basic e4 from an e4 PLUS is pretty much two things:

First of all is PRICE.  Both phones are very affordable but the basic e4 is only $145.00 outright.  To me that’s just a super value, especially considering how well this phone performs.  I said before, I’d love to just always have one of these on hand as an emergency phone and I truly mean that.  There is not a single function that I could find that this phone wasn’t able to do.  It could fill my needs in a pinch and that has a lot of importance when considering a device.

Second is FEATURES vs Needs.  The items above make the Moto e4 PLUS attractive to someone who views those features as needs. However, for the things I need, the Moto e4 works just fine. I like the extra battery, screen size and finger print sensor but shaving those features off, saves almost 46% of the cost.  That savings makes me miss forget on what I’m missing and happy with what I have.  Just my opinion.

Other things to consider:

Case Selection - I’ve actually seen many mainstream case manufacturers giving the basic e4 some love.  One such case to consider is the Spigen Rugged Armor Moto E4 Case with Resilient Shock Absorption and Carbon Fiber Design.  This case looks to have disappeared from the Spigen site but easily had and available through various retail outlets for a dirt cheap clearance pricing.

Bigger screen Better? -  So the Moto e4 PLUS and basic e4 both sport a 1280x720 resolution. The Moto e4 PLUS is 0.5” larger but the pixels per inch is a bit softer.  Comparing the basic e4’s ppi of 294, the e4 PLUS comes in at 267.  I’m not positive this is the reason why but I did notice my Vudu app was able to stream video in HDX (720p) on the e4 but refused to stream above 480p on the e4 PLUS.  Could I tell a quality difference between 480p and 720 (on a sub 6” screen)?  Well, not really but the message saying it wasn’t possible was a bit of a turn off.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.