cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3a XL delivers amazing battery life for a mid-tier device

Sprint Product Ambassador

When we usually go out to buy a new phone and are leaning towards a premium device such as Pixel 3, Samsung's Galaxy S line, LG's G or V lineup, we expect a lot of bells and whistles, but also strong fundamental features or hardware/software capability. One of the key features everyone wants in their phone is that it lasts the ENTIRE DAY. Depending on how you use your phone, it may not even cross the 5 PM mark before requiring a recharge.

Yes, all the phones today boasts huge batteries, most have at least a 3000 mAh battery size which is pretty big. But do they last long? The Pixel 3a XL, although not in the premium category, does in fact have a large battery, a whopping 3700 mAh battery. Now does the physical size of the battery the only consideration?

When I go out to shop for a device, and battery life is a big factor just like most of us, one must look further into the specs of the phone than just the size. Some other things to consider are:

• Processor - the faster and more powerful the processor, the higher power it will require, especially during peak performance (games, videos, etc.)
  • Screen - again, similar to processor, the screen technology and size will play a huge impact on battery life. If the screen is OLED or AMOLED, it will require less power as each pixel can be turned off or on, compared to LCD which has zones (think TV for a few). Also bigger screen means more power
  • Operating system - latest OS means that Google's latest features around power management will be important here. Sometimes manufacturers code in their own optimization algorithms and those work well too.

Also, if you are a gamer, you will burn through your battery faster than if you are just an email or messenger junkie. Also if you are in bad coverage area outside of wifi, your phone will work harder to maintain a connection and therefore, require more power.

That all said, in my experience so far, the Pixel 3a XL so far has exceeded my expectations on battery life. While using it in conjunction with my Samsung S10+ as a daily driver, I have not had to charge this phone every night. It was very difficult to not connect the charger at night as it was showing 55% and I thought, what the heck, lets give it a shot and boy this guy lasts 2 days for me. I use it almost exactly the same way I use my other device, but I always have to charge every phone I carry at night because they are usually around 20% or less. I believe one of the key reasons why this phone works longer is the under the hood optimizations by Google in their latest OS helps the 3a survive longer. So if you are in the market looking for a reasonably priced phone at a premium battery life, look no further than the Pixel 3a or its XL big brother.

-- Your Product Ambassador Team