cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S10+ vs LG G8 Simple Photo Shootout

Sprint Product Ambassador

I havent done much comparisons recently and with all the hype about megapixels and this lens and that lens, I thought I could do a quick side by side photo comparison without the tech stuff. Well ok let me go over the specs real quick:

LG G8:

Front: 8MP, 80 degrees field of view, f/1.7 Aperture, Sensor Size 1.22 um

Rear Cameras (yes plural):

Standard: 12MP, 78 degrees field of view, f/1.5 Aperture, Sensor Size 1.40 um

Super Wide: 16MP, 107 degrees field of view, f/1.9 Aperture, Sensor Size 1.00 um

Samsung S10+:

Front Cameras (again plural):

Selfie: 10MP, 80 degrees field of view, f/1.9 Aperture, Sensor Size 1.22 um

Depth: 8MP, 90 degrees field of view, f/2.2 Aperture, Sensor Size 1.12 um

Rear Cameras:

Standard: 12MP, 77 degrees field of view, f/1.5 & f/2.4 Aperture, Sensor Size 1.40 um

Telephoto: 12MP, 45 degrees field of view, f/2.4 Aperture, Sensor Size 1.00 um

Ultra Wide: 16MP, 123 degrees field of view, f/2.2 Aperture, Sensor Size 1.00 um

Now that I have bored you with the specs copied from the manufacturers websites (lg.com and samsung.com) lets do some comparisons. I only did the rear cameras for this shootout and only 1 example, for now.20190616_182027 - Copy.jpgG8 Standard20190616_182025 - Copy.jpgS10+ Standard

I took these pictures in my backyard using the default settings. It seems, in my case, the S10+ was setup for full screen aka 16:9 ration which produced a longer image, but the LG was standard on th3 4:3 ratio producing a boxier image. Either way works for me. As these pictures were taken litterally holding both phones together, I would say the S10+ had a brighter picture, but LG produced colors that are a bit more realistic. Each phone does few enhancements automatically without the user's input. I am not going to chose a winner, for my purposes both are good enough for my daily use.

Now we compare the wide angled ones:

20190616_182035_HDR - Copy.jpgG8 Wide

20190616_182032 - Copy.jpgS10+ Wide

Again, here due to the aspect ratio, the S10+ produced a longer picture. However even though the S10+ boasts a wider angle, I see more coverage in the G8. In my opinion, LG has been doing the wide angle lens for quite some time and it seems they have got the hang of things. I do prefer more detail and hence the G8 has an upper hand. However, more realistically most people will take landscape picture often and probably the difference will be negligible.

I will probably do a couple more comparisons with some other phones and add more blogs. The idea here is that most people in the market to buy a phone can easily use this silly, simple example to determine what would work for them better. For my daily use, either phones will do an excellent job!

Until Next Time

-- Your Product Ambassador Team