cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - Bixby Vision - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hello everyone!

Today’s blog is about the usefulness of Bixby Vision! Some people love Bixby, and others not so much, but I think it would be tough to argue that Bixby Vision isn’t useful!

What is Bixby Vision?

Bixby Vision is not the assistant everyone loves (or perhaps dislikes, for some of you), it’s the name of an add-on to the camera that allows you to extract and translate text, search online stores for a product in front of you to buy it, or even just search the image to see what else shows up. It’s a pretty useful feature built into the camera, and one that I find myself using quite often.

How do I access it?

Simply open the camera application on the Samsung Note 8. On panel toward the bottom, you’ll see “Bixby Vision” to the left of Live Focus. Tap on it to launch it and you’ll be presented with a note regarding the use of Bixby Vision.

I recommend going into the Bixby Vision setting to adjust it to ensure it is working for you the best that it can. To edit settings, follow the previous steps and once on Bixby Vision screen, click the three dots in the upper-right corner and tap settings. From here, you can turn on image searching, places, wine information, etc. Yes, WINE!  Smiley Happy You can use Bixby Vision to analyze a bottle of wine at the store or at your table and discover more about its vintage, preferred food pairing and ranking – all just by having Bixby Vision analyze the label!

Enabling the various settings will ensure that you get to experience everything Bixby Vision has to offer.

Use Cases:

There are numerous uses of Bixby Vision. You can use the Augmented Reality (AR) option to search for stores near you. Just turn on AR, hold your phone up, and you can “see” where stores are in proximity to you based on the AR.  It’s pretty neat.

As soon as you open Bixby Vision, you will see what you’re looking at through the viewfinder of the camera. Bixby Vision already starts working and is seeking to analyze what it is showing. Once it identifies something on the image, it will present to you the ability to search the web for the image to return similar images, search online shopping sites like Amazon for a similar product, read a QR code, and even extract text from the item you’re viewing. 

My favorite feature, by far, is the ability to extract text from something I am looking at so that I can easily share it. For example, there are still people who use business cards, and Bixby Vision can extract this information so that you can easily save it directly into your contacts!

I used it recently on my Nintendo Switch to send my mother my Friend Code. Unfortunately, sharing a friend code from a Nintendo product does entail a bit of transcribing to another service since you cannot easily send it from the Nintendo unit itself.

As you can see in the images below, I simply opened my Bixby Vision app on the camera, pointed it at my Nintendo Switch Profile on the unit, and it identified the text on the screen. I was then able to choose Extract and selectively copy the information I wanted to send via SMS to my mother. Note that you can adjust the blue box around whatever content you’re attempting to view, search, translate, extract, etc.  

Screenshot_20171228-191256.jpgScreenshot_20171228-191327.jpgScreenshot_20171228-191435.jpgFrom here I can highlight "friend code" to easily copy and paste into a SMS message

I absolutely love Bixby Vision. I have used it in Target when I am price shopping items (especially during the holiday season!), I’ve used it for sharing my Nintendo information with others, I’ve saved business card information, and I’ve used it for various image searches. I plan to use it for some translation to see how well it works on the go.

What do you like about Bixby Vision? Have you used it?  If so, what is your favorite feature of it?

As always, thanks for reading! 

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Manager

Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.