cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - Enhanced Messaging (RCS) + POSSIBLE Issue Fix - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hello everyone!

I wanted to take a minute to post a troubleshooting/quick fix blog instead of the typical “this is what your device can do” blog.  Why?  Well, I personally experienced some issues with RCS (Enhanced) Messaging on my Galaxy Note 8, and I wanted to help others fix it, as I can see there are quite a few others with a similar complaint with the Note 8, S8, and S8 Plus.

Follow along to fix your issue if you’re having the same problem!

What is RCS (Enhanced) messaging?

I would be remiss if I did not first take a second to explain what RCS is, and why you want it.  First, RCS Stands for Rich Communication Services and expands upon the traditional text messaging (SMS) experience for users.  It enabled users to have improved group chats, share high-quality photos (instead of those grainy 1970’s-looking snaps), enables delivery/read receipts, and more! If you happened to use a device with Apple’s iOS, then you know the basics of RCS.  This functionality has been missing from the Android platform, and Google is partnering with OEMs and carriers to ensure this is enabled.

TL;DR:

• Group chats instead of multiple chain & disassembled text messages
  • High-quality photo sharing versus grainy/pixelated photos
  • Delivery/Read Receipts on messages

The Samsung RCS experience:

On other devices, users may have the stock Android Messages app (available on Google Play for any device). This application is native to allowing RCS should your carrier/device allow it. However, Samsung does not come stock with the Android Messages application on it, instead it comes with Samsung Messages, which is a different application altogether.

Previously, Samsung had its own Enhanced Messaging on its devices that enabled Samsung-to-Samsung users to experience a “chat-like” experience. However, as we have progressed with RCS, Samsung has adopted this technology to enable the chat-like experience across other OEM devices.

Within the Samsung Messages application, while using RCS, you can send messages to your friends/family and se when they’ve been delivered and read. In addition, you can send higher-quality photos instantly, allowing the other party to see your photo in all its glory.  This is important on devices with amazing cameras, much like the Note 8!

Unlike the Android Messages application, Samsung takes it a step further to show when you’re using RCS versus text messaging. If the other user is using RCS, the “SEND” button and message bubbles turn green. If they’re not, or RCS is unavailable due to network or other conditions, the messages being sent are sent as text and the “SEND” button turns orange.

The Samsung RCS Issue:

Okay, that should give enough back-story to RCS and some of its functionality on the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.  Now we can get to the problem that I, and others, have experienced on the device when attempting to use RCS.

Many users have complained of devices notifying them in the Samsung Messages application that enhanced features are available. The user is prompted with an option to click next and should either have a background notification go through to enable the features automatically or may receive a text message with a verification code. Some users might see a box at the top of the text threads that says “Enter Verification Code” with a timer on it (five minutes). The problem is that users are not always having the RCS enable automatically or are never receiving a text message verification code. This disallows the user to use RCS.

There is a fix that worked for me, and I am extremely hopeful that it will work for you.  Please post a comment below if it did or did not work for you!

The Fix

I spent some time trying to fix this issue after reading other posts with similar issues, and my fix resolved it immediately.

Steps

• Navigate to Device Settings
  • Click “Device Maintenance”
  • Click Battery on the lower-left
  • Click “Battery Usage” under the estimated battery life
  • Click the three dots in the upper right and click “Optimize Battery Usage”
  • Change dropdown from “Apps not optimized” to “All Apps”
  • Scroll to Configuration Message and ensure it’s not blue (off)
  • Scroll to Messages (Samsung is Orange, Android is blue if you have it installed) and ensure it’s not blue (off)
  • Exit settings and open Messages, click the three dots in the upper right and click “Settings”
  • Click “Chat Settings”
  • Toggle Rich Communication Settings to On (Orange)
  • Back out of the settings and give it a bit and you should be fully registered
  • You may receive an automated message stating “Messaging’s enhanced features have been enabled (Confirmation ID: xxxxxx)
  • Test with another known RCS user to see if your chat turns green

This immediately resolved my issue and appears that the problem lies in the battery optimization setting of the Configuration Message setting. Since this is being optimized, I believe that it is being suppressed from utilizing battery life in the background. Since there isn’t a real way to force it, the only way is to ensure it’s not an optimized feature on the device.

Here’s a quick visual walkthrough of the above steps

Screenshot_20171129-072958.jpgSTEP 1 Screenshot_20171129-073009.jpgSTEP 2Screenshot_20171129-073103.jpgSTEP 3Screenshot_20171129-073109.jpgSTEP 4Screenshot_20171129-073117.jpgSTEP 5Screenshot_20171129-073201.jpgSTEP 6Screenshot_20171129-073223.jpgSTEP 7Screenshot_20171129-073345.jpgSTEP 8Screenshot_20171204-065924.jpgChat Enabled

This issue has been fixed and I have been able to enjoy RCS without any problems since.  Let me know if this does/doesn’t work for you, as I am curious! 

As always, thanks for reading! 

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Manager

Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

40 Comments
Journeyman

Thanks for the info going try on my S8 when I get home, already followed your steps on my Note 8 but have no way of testing out the feature. 

Hopefully it worked! Keep me posted!

Journeyman

Did it worked for you?

It did indeed work for me. Hasn't been a problem since Wednesday (day I followed the steps above). 

Journeyman

I'm pretty sure it's the same for the S8.

@RICKETKM23 Yes, the steps should be exactly the same.  The UI should be the same throughout the 8 series devices now. 

Journeyman

So for some reason I lost enhanced messaging again, it comes and go. 

I'll work to confirm if I can, but I believe it is service area dependent. I don't have it all the time either. On wifi I usually do, but I'm network it doesn't always revert to RCS. 

The bigger question at the moment: were you able to resolve the issue with registration? 

Journeyman

I just tried this registration fix, but it did not work. I do not have the "Configuration message" app that you noted in your procedure. Is that something I need to download somehow?

Thank you for trying to help with this!

Hey @austin_hunt, Apologies for the delay. I thought I answered the other day, but apparently didn't. 

I'm not sure why that option would be missing.  It might worth updating the device profile (Settings > System Updates > Update Profile) to see if it pushes it to the device. 

Also, to confirm, once you're in the "optimize battery usage" section, you switched from "Apps not optimized" to "All Apps?"  

Journeyman

Troy,

This does not work for me. Ive had my Note 8 for 5 months, and this morning had to facotry reset my phone. After factory resetting it I no longer had RCS. I would get a notification but no code and the message timer would time out after 5 mins. I followed the steps you posted with the battery and none of that worked for me. And what really sucks now is my wife also has a note 8, and hers works but mine doesn't. So now when she sends me a message it takes 4-10mins for me to receive it because she is trying to send me one using RCS which is not enabled for me. 

@dalekinder Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you, either. Mine has worked flawlessly since I followed those updates; however, I imagine each phone could vary for a myriad of reasons.

I would also recommend a profile update on yours to see if that helps, too. You may try that before going through the battery (Settings > System Updates > Update Profile) settings to make those changes. 

If that doesn't work, then a reprogramming of the device could be beneficial (this will not erase any settings, it simply reprograms the device) by opening the dialer and entering ##72786# > Yes.  The phone will restart and then pull down the programming information from Sprint again. There could be a hiccup in the initial provisioning that needs to be addressed, which happens from time to time.

Journeyman

Troy, Have done all those, Profile update, PRL update and the phone reprogram, lol and still nothing. I work in IT so i did the research which brought me here. I appreciate your help on the forum Smiley Happy

Happy to try to help, anyway! Smiley Happy 

You might even see if it's not just network provisioning but something in the device setup with the Sprint customization on the handset. The other option I would suggest is ##27263# > Yes (won't delete data) to push Sprint content back to the handset that might retrigger that push. 

Journeyman

@Troy_Glidden Thanks for your response! Doing the "Update Profile" thing helped to make it so that I got the "Configuration message" to appear, so I fixed that setting under the Battery Optimization tab, but I am still having the same "Registration Failed" message that I got before.

Journeyman

I noticed many are having the same issues with the S8 and S8+ trying to get the text delivery report being the RCS. I tried many times to register the new features. I never received the code to confirm my number or it will say confirmation failed. Finally after reading the last message carefully I realized what I was doing wrong. The RCS states the new features are available using your internet connection. I always had mine on Wi-Fi while trying to complete the steps. I turned off Wi-Fi and turn on data network to try again. I had no issues at all within 1 minute I received a confirmation saying RCS was enabled without entering a code. I went to chat setting and sure enough all the options was available. It worked for me so I hope this works for others as well.

Journeyman

Simple easy fix for me on the Samsung galaxy S8plus getting the RCS features to work. After trying many time while on Wi-Fi,I tried using data internet instead and it work 1st try. Never entered a code instead after waiting 1 to 2 minutes I received a confirmation from Sprint saying the features were enabled.I now have all the setting under chat. I hope this helps others!

Journeyman

Keep getting registration failed I tried every still no progress also tried with my S7 edge. 

Journeyman

Okay nvm I figured it out

Journeyman

Okayyy so I take back what I said cause it's not working at all my registration is failing 

Journeyman

Not working again on oreo update 

All - 

My sincerest apologies for not seeing your comments. I am not sure how I missed them. 

What could help is to try to install something like Android Messages app from Google Play store and enabling RCS via the app settings.  Then, uninstall it and attempt my steps above in the blog post. I did this initially but didn't think the Android Messages app really did anything to help, but it is entirely possible. 

I will note that on the S9 this didn't occur. I was able to quickly and easily provision RCS on the S9 out of the box without tinkering with anything like on the Note 8.  After the Oreo update, it could be worth resetting the Samsung Messages app back to factory settings via Settings > Apps and see if that helps as well. 

Journeyman
I'm trying to fix mine but I can't turn on the message how can I turn them on?

@Pepe12 The message may not show through unless you go through and perform the troubleshooting steps listed to turn off the battery saver for messaging. I know that was the case for me.  

Journeyman

If we have an unlocked S8+ on Sprint is RCS not an option?