cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - Unboxing and First Impressions - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey Everyone!

As I mentioned previously in another blog, we are upon exciting times at Sprint as new devices continue to come out! If you’re in the market for a new device or switching to Sprint, now is a great time to do it!

Today’s blog is on the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and my first impressions/unboxing. I have been salivating over this device since before its announcement, and I am finally able to hold this beauty in my hands! Come along as I fanboy over the Note 8!

Unboxing

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is the latest installment in the Note series, and one that many people such as myself have been waiting for. Considering 2016’s quick demise of the Galaxy Note 7, many people have been waiting nearly two years to upgrade their Note 5 models, and I think the wait has been worth it.

The device comes with the following in the box:

• Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (obviously)
  • USB Type-C Charging Cable and Samsung Rapid Charging base
  • MicroUSB to Type-C Adapter
  • USB A (in) to Type-C out Adapter – This is great for transferring content via Samsung SmartSwitch, as well as plugging in a mouse or other USB peripheral should you need it
  • AKG Headphones
  • S-Pen Replacement Tips + Remover

The devices comes out of the box with 7.1.1, not Oreo, but Samsung will likely be working on Oreo in a future release.  Stay tuned to Samsung & Sprint’s social channels for software updates as they become available.

IMG_20171031_071720.jpgIMG_20171031_071723.jpg

Device Specifications

Here are some device specifications should you want them!

Screen: 6.3” Infinity Display with a 18.5:9 aspect ratio – The Infinity Display provides an edge-to-edge experience with some small curvature on the edges

Weight: 6.88 oz

Rear Cameras: Wide angle camera and telephoto camera, both at 12 MP. There is an notable (ha!) difference between the cameras here. The Wide Angle camera has a f/1.7 aperture, where the telephoto camera has a f/2.4 aperture.

Front Camera: The front camera is 8 MP with a f/2.4 aperture and a field of vision of 80 degrees allowing for wide-angle selfies as we’ve come to expect from Samsung devices.

Other specs include: An Octa-core processor 64-bit processor, 6 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage space. In addition, the device allows for expanded storage via MicroSD Card up to 256GB. Finally, the battery comes in at 3,300 mAh, providing significant battery life for everything you want your Note to do throughout the day.

Setup

The setup is easy, yet it does take some time to complete. Samsung adds on multiple items during the device setup process to ensure that you are able to use your phone efficiently after it’s fully set up. However, I do find that this becomes overkill at times, and it would be nice to see an option to “remind me later.”  Still, fully setting the device up from the beginning allows for a great user experience from the start.

After the device finishes its setup process you’re taken to the home screen that is simply beautiful. I love the Application Icons that Samsung has implement in its recent software iterations, and it doesn’t feel like a “kid” phone any longer. It looks professional, colorful, and beautiful.

One tip when setting up the devices is to make sure that all applications are updated. Since devices come with the stock version of many applications, numerous updates may be available upon activation.  Head to the Google Play Store to update any Google or other applications on the device before you begin.  I would also recommend navigating to the Galaxy Apps store to update any Samsung-Specific applications prior to use. The nice thing about Galaxy Apps is that once an update is available, it will notify you upon launching the application.

Overall impressions

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is sleek, beautiful, thin, and light. It is exactly what I was waiting for from my Note 5, and I am excited to take it for a ride. The screen is vibrant, use of the phone is snappy, and the fingerprint scanner on the rear of the device makes it more convenient to use compared to previous iterations with it on the front of the device below the screen. The Note 8 feels more natural in my hand, and it’s simple to use!

I look forward to my journey with this device, and I hope you’ll stick around for the ride. There is a lot to share about this phone, and I intend to share as much as I possibly can about it! 

As always, thank you for stopping by to read this!  

What do you want to see in future blogs? What is a feature that you’d like to learn how to use?

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Manager

Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. 

Until next time!