cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S9 - Bixby Vision: New and Improved - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey Everyone!

Today’s blog is on the Samsung Galaxy S9 and Bixby Vision!  I’ve written about Bixby Vision before on the Samsung Note 8. If you want to check out the Bixby Vision write up for that device, go here. The Bixby Vision application is new and improve on the GS9, so therefor worthy of a second write-up!

What is Bixby Vision?  

Bixby is the assistant that comes standard on every newer Samsung Galaxy Device, and with that includes Bixby Vision. The Vision aspect of Bixby takes the abilities of the camera a few steps further to enhance your camera’s capabilities and use.  The Bixby Vision add-on to the camera allows you to extract and translate text, search online stores for a product in front of you to buy it, search for wine reviews simply by a label, and even see what some makeup brands might look like on you before buying!

Is this a gimmick? Sure, I suppose you could say that, but I think it’s more than a gimmick. The Bixby Vision application is useful and easy to use. I especially like the instant translation on the fly!

Accessing Bixby Vision

To access Bixby Vision, click the Camera app then in the lower left you’ll see an ‘eye’ icon. Click that and you’ll be taken to Bixby Vision.  On first launch, it will ask if you want to add a shortcut to your home screen. I opted to do that so that I could quickly access it in the future.

Here is what it looks like both in the camera application and on the home screen:

Screenshot_20180429-190713_Samsung Experience Home.jpgScreenshot_20180429-202447_Camera.jpg 

Once you’re in the application, simply slide to the left or right to access the various functions within Bixby Vision.  You can use BV to:

• Try on makeup before you buy (some brands include Sephora, CoverGirl, and Laneige)
  • Instantly translate text (powered by Google)
  • Search an image of something for similar items
  • Scan a barcode or product ot search on places like Google, Amazon, Wal-mart, etc.
  • See places around you using augmented reality
  • Find out about food simply by putting it in the viewfinder
  • Learn about the wine you’re about to drink
  • Scan QR codes quickly

Makeup – Augmented Reality

I have often thought about how cool it would be to try something via augmented reality before I purchased it. Imagine trying on clothes that you see online via your camera before going to the store to purchase them or holding a phone or tablet in your hands before heading to the Sprint store to purchase, or even seeing what your new kitchen would look like before heading down to your nearest home improvement store! Samsung has started to make this thought a reality with the makeup filter through Bixby Vision.

First, I don’t use make up so I will not begin to pretend I know anything about it. However, I can see how this feature could be useful for people searching for the various types of foundations, eyeliners, mascaras and lipsticks. The BV app includes various filters for popular brands like Sephora, Laneige, and CoverGirl. Simply click on the makeup setting (to the far left in BV), and begin selecting the type of look you want and adjusting the various makeup selections from there.  Some options do have restricted settings based on the brand, but you’ll see some options.  Once you’re ready to see your look, tap the makeup icon at the bottom as if you’re capturing the photo.  This will bring up a list of items that you’ve chosen to ‘wear’ that you can check out on the makeup manufacturer’s website.   The picture you snapped also saves, so you can feel free to share it with your friends.

Again, I don’t use makeup, but I find this to be a fun setting to play with but also to share about. I know my wife could use something like this, as it can help her decide exactly what she wants, review costs and reviews, and make decisions prior to heading to the store to buy.

Here are some photos of the makeup option use:

Screenshot_20180429-190511_Bixby Vision.jpgI feel prettyScreenshot_20180429-200455_Bixby Vision.jpgand witty 

Instant Translation

Let’s face it, we all wanted to learn a second or third language in high school or college, but many of us never really got the opportunity to do it or even put it to use if we did learn. I can speak some Spanish conversationally, and even read some Spanish, but I am rusty at best. In comes instant translation in my pocket!

Access the ‘text’ function through Bixby Vision and point at something in a different language or point at something in your native language and translate it to any language you want. It takes a few seconds, but you’ll begin to see the text morph from its original language to your selected language.  You can change it at any time by tapping the destination language.  For example, I translated Spanish to English and from Spanish to Japanese just to see what it would look like.  It’s quite amazing to see it at work.  It is powered by Google Translate, so it may not be fully grammatically correct, but it’s pretty close to what you need to get by in a pinch.

The next time you’re traveling, you may find the language translation option of Bixby Vision to be useful!  

Here are some examples of language translation at work:

Screenshot_20180429-185629_Bixby Vision.jpgOriginal format (Spanish)Screenshot_20180429-185747_Bixby Vision.jpgTranslated to EnglishScreenshot_20180429-185810_Bixby Vision.jpgAnother translation to English from SpanishScreenshot_20180429-185851_Bixby Vision.jpgTranslated from Spanish to Japanese 

Wine Information

Who doesn’t love wine? Well, actually me. I dislike the taste, but my wife enjoys various types of wines. I have a lot of friends who enjoy some wine, so perhaps I can use the wine label information in BV to sound educated about wine the next time I am over at their homes Smiley Happy

Simply tap the wine option, point your camera at the label and wait for the information to come back.  You can tap the wine button again to snap a photo and view the details or you can click the informational pop-up box to expand the details on the wine.  This feature is powered by Vivino.

Here is an example with the only bottle of wine I could find at my house (shocking!):

Screenshot_20180429-190222_Bixby Vision.jpgQuick previewScreenshot_20180429-190240_Bixby Vision.jpgExpanded details

Conclusion

As I mentioned in my previous Bixby Vision blog, I absolutely love the functionality provided by the application. It has been completely expanded with the GS9/GS9+, and I am looking forward to future iterations of the application as Samsung expands its features.  I hope to see one day that I can shop from places like The Home Depot, IKEA, Lowe’s, and others and see what the options would look like in my home. 

Hey Samsung, if you’re reading this, may I suggest incorporating your other product lines (TV, washing machines, refrigerators, etc.) into the application so that consumers can see what they look like in their homes?  Let’s do it!

Take some time to use Bixby Vision, and I am sure you’ll find it immediately useful. You may not use it every day, but I’m sure you’ll use it more often than you thought!

What do you like about Bixby Vision? Have you used it?  If so, what is your favorite feature of it?

As always, thanks for reading!

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Project Manager

Portland, OR area (Soon to be Nashville, TN!)

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. 

Until next time!