cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S9 SOS Feature

Sprint Product Ambassador

Here’s a cool feature you can use on your Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus for emergencies.  Screenshot_20180517-165216_Settings.jpgOnce Screenshot_20180517-165233_Settings.jpgactivated, all you have to Screenshot_20180517-165247_Safety assistance.jpgdo is push the power key three time in rapid succession.  To activate it, go to Settings, Advanced Features, Send SOS Messages, then switch to On, and choose the options you want.  You'll also need to designate someone as your emergency contact.  I chose all the options, and this is what was sent from my phone to my wife’s phone:

map screenshot

text message: “SOS!”

URL with map coordinates

text message: “I need help”

URL with map coordinates

five second audio clip

map screenshot

text message: “SOS!”

URL with map coordinates

URL with map coordinates

front camera photograph

five second audio clip

rear camera photograph

front camera photograph

rear camera photograph

And so on.  At this point, I wanted to cancel the SOS, so I rebooted my phone.  There must be an official way to cancel an SOS, but for the life of me, I couldn't find it. Frankly, I was feeling a little bit panicky because I could hear my wife's phone buzzing with frantic activity every couple of seconds from my emergency drill.  I’ll try simply triple-clicking the power key again one day, and will update this blog with my findings.

This is a useful feature, but be sure that your designated emergency contacts are aware of the feature so they understand what's going on if they start getting these SOS texts from you at some point in the future.  Also, to take a photo when the screen is off, you can simply double-click the power button, and if your timing is off, you will be tempted it double-click again, which could result in an unintentional triple-click, thus sending SOS messages to your emergency contacts.  It’s happened to me.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee