cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S9 - Super Slow-Mo Camera - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey Everyone!

Today’s blog is on the Samsung Galaxy S9 and the Super Slow-Mo camera feature! I love when manufacturers include different features on their cameras because it helps me find different and unique ways to use the camera. 

The Camera. Reimagined

The Galaxy S9 advertising has had a high emphasis on the camera, for a good reason. The camera is reimagined, and it is worth of the praise. However, instead of focusing specifically on the camera itself, I wanted to focus on a feature of the camera that I find fun and useful in various settings.  The feature is Super Slow-mo.

According to Samsung, Super Slow-mo can shoot at an incredible 960 frames per second due to the enhanced speed sensor on the GS9.  TO compare, normal slow-motion video, or at least what we have been used to calling slow motion, runs at about 240 frames per second. This decrease in speed allows you to capture some truly awesome slow-motion videos of anything your heart desires.

Using Super-Slow Mo

Accessing Super Slow-mo is easy on the Galaxy S9. Simply open your camera and swipe left to open Super Slow-mo. From here, you can use the feature in one of two ways: automatic and manual.

Automatic – Automatic places a square on the screen that will automatically trigger when the slow-motion video is captured. If something passes through the square, it will turn on the slow-motion capture. You can move and resize the square to your liking by tapping on it.

Manual – This is my preferred method. Switching to manual removes the square on the screen and relies on you to it the slow-motion button. I prefer this method because I like to be in control of when the slow motion is captured. For example, in the video I embedded below of the soccer game, I was able to capture it at the moment I wanted versus a different moment.

Editing Slow-Mo

You can make some great edits to the slow-motion videos and can share them easily. You can mute or add different audio (custom audio or built-in selections, trim the videos, and watch videos in various modes. Once you save an edit to a video, it’s exported to your gallery (Video editor) and the original is unchanged. This allows you to customize specific sections and share them differently if you want to. 

You can also add the slow-motion videos to your lock screen to relive the slow-motion moments again and again every time you look at your device!

Examples of Super Slow-Mo Capture

Here are three videos I took of the Super Slow-mo in action!  The first is of my dog playing with her stick (she loves fetch and never tires of it) using automatic, the next video is of a fire while I was camping (auto), and the last video is of my oldest daughter’s soccer team during their opening season match this weekend (manual mode).

Personal Preference

I truly love the Super Slow-mo on the Samsung GS9. However, there are two things that I don’t like.

1. The video quality is only about 720p, not 1080. While this isn’t significant, it is a bummer to me as I prefer 1080
  2. Super Slow-mo segments are short (about 6 seconds). I would love to be able to extend it to 10 – 15 seconds total, even if that meant shortening the entire video

These are personal preferences, and not necessarily something all users will find to be a con.

Conclusion

I don’t think I will be able to join the SlowMo Guys any time soon, but I can still take some pretty awesome slow-motion videos on my phone on the fly! I am looking forward to using this feature more and more as I continue to use my GS9. I have a lot of soccer games left to attend this spring, and I can’t wait to see what slow motion opportunities present themselves.

Give the slow-motion functionality a shot and see what awesome videos you can come up with!  Feel free to upload to YouTube and share your slow-motion videos below in the comments! I want to see them!

Thanks for reading and enjoy your GS9! I’ll be back again soon with another awesome feature on the Samsung Galaxy S9.

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Project Manager

Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. 

Until next time!