cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S9 - Unboxing and First Impressions - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey Everyone!

I am the proud recipient of a new Samsung Galaxy S9 to talk about this month! I’ve been eying this device since rumors of it started to show up on the Internet last year, and I knew it would be worth getting my hands on once it released.

Today’s blog is on the Samsung Galaxy S9 and my first impressions/unboxing. I have been using my Galaxy Note 8 for quite a few months, so I wanted to see what the main differences were up front.  

Unboxing 

The Samsung Galaxy S9 is the latest installment in the Galaxy S series, and likely the best iteration of the Galaxy S Series yet.

The device comes with the following in the box:

• Samsung Galaxy S9
  • USB Type-C Charging Cable and Samsung Rapid Charging base
  • USB A (in) to Type-C out Adapter – This is great for transferring content via Samsung SmartSwitch, as well as plugging in a mouse or other USB peripheral should you need it
  • AKG Headphones
  • Additional earbuds for headphones
  • SIM removal tool

IMG_0033.JPGIMG_0034.JPGIMG_0036.JPG

The devices comes out of the box with 8.0 Oreo with Samsung’s latest Samsung Experience 9.0, which has replaced the User Interface formerly known as “TouchWiz.”  The new UI really brings everything together and makes the device look slick during operation.

Device Specifications

If you want the full device specifications, head over to Samsung’s landing page for the S9/S9+ handsets here.  Worth noting that you may see some items that may not be offered on the Sprint variants of the S9/S9+ handsets. For example, the clear case that is pictured as part of the “what’s in the box” section is not included in the Sprint S9 box.

Some notable specifications for the GS9 include:

• 3,000 mAh battery (3,500 mAh battery on S9+)
  • 5.8” Screen (6.2” on S9+)
  • Dolby Atmos audio
  • 8 MP Front Cam
  • 12 MP Rear Cam (S9+ has dual 12 MP cameras)
  • USB C Connectivity
  • Rearranged fingerprint sensor versus previous models

Here is a photo of the size difference between S9 and Note 8:

IMG_0038.JPGFronts (S9 Left, Note 8 Right)IMG_0041.JPGRears (S9 Left, Note 8 Right)

Setup

The setup of the Galaxy S9 is similar to many Samsung devices. It walks you through each step of the process to sign into Google, Samsung, and other items to ensure your device works for you the way you want it to. Samsung’s new UI really makes the process feel easy.  Honestly, setting up a phone is a pain, and this one doesn’t really shorten the time to set everything up, but it does make it a bit more straightforward in my opinion.

If you skipped through all of the setup information when you purchased your phone, you can always go back through the phone to set everything up. 

As I like to always mention: When setting up devices, make sure that all applications are updated. Since devices come with the stock version of many applications, numerous updates may be available upon activation.  Head to the Google Play Store to update any Google or other applications on the device before you begin.  I would also recommend navigating to the Galaxy Apps store to update any Samsung-Specific applications prior to use. The nice thing about Galaxy Apps is that once an update is available, it will notify you upon launching the application.

Overall impressions

The Galaxy S9 is sleek, light, and beautiful. The form factor of the unit, similar to the Note 8 and last year’s S8, is easy to hold and use.

The relocation of the fingerprint sensor is a nice change.  As you can see below, I have the S9 on the left and the Note 8 on the right. Samsung moved the fingerprint scanner to the middle versus off to the side of the camera lens, which reduces unnecessary smudges. However, if you’re moving from a previous Samsung model, you may find your self going back to where it used to be when trying to unlock your phone (I do it all the time).

IMG_0093.JPGS9 Sensor/Camera PlacementIMG_0094.JPGS9 (left) vs Note 8 (right) Sensor/Camera Placement

While the S9 lacks a few of the hardware features that the S9+ has on onboard, it remains a fantastic handset that is able to take what you throw at it. I took mine to the beach on a recent camping trip and it performed beautifully – camera blog to come!

I am still partial to my Note 8 simply because I enjoy the larger screen and S-Pen; however, the S9 is quickly winning me over with newly integrated Samsung features and functions that I don’t have on my Note 8.  This phone packs a lot into a small size, and I look forward to sharing the details with everyone.  Stick around, there’s more to come!

As always, thank you for stopping by to read this!  

What do you want to see in future blogs? What is a feature that you’d like to learn how to use?

Troy Glidden

Service & Repair Project Manager

Portland, OR area

Follow me on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/troyglidden 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. 

Until next time!