cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 ACTIVE - One Solid Device

Sprint Product Ambassador

Review of the S8 Active Device and its durability ratings

As with any exclusive agreement they always come to an end. One such agreement was held by our competitor for a few years. Finally it has ended and Sprint is now in possession of the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active. This is Sprints first device from Samsung that consists of the high superior rating for protection. 

The Galaxy S8 Active is a tough device with some great specs. Let us start with the feel of the device. Out of the box the device outer shell is metallic. It feels very sturdy and has some nice weight to the size. All four corners appear to have specially screwed in plastic bumpers for additional protection from drops. The screen is the standard flat screen but there is a slight raised lip around it for surface protection. On the back there are also slight metallic bumpers on the top, bottom, and sides to raise the back off the surface to protect the camera and flash. 

spr_g892u_s8_active_gy_v_front_lock.jpgspr_g892u_s8_active_gy_v_back.jpg

What makes this device so protective does not end there. The screen is a 5.8" QHD+ Super AMOLED and it is referenced with being shatter resistant. This is based on dropping the phone from 5 feet and landing flat on the surface. The devices screen appears to have an additional layer of protection. On top of the actual Amoled screen is the standard Gorilla 5 glass. Next layer adds the additional protection and it is the Polycarbonate +PMMA. This combines the strong impact ability of the polycarbonate plastic with an acrylic style type of plastic which is known for being extremely scratch resistant and very transparent for allowing light to pass through. This is the same type of material that is also used in some store front windows to give them the nice outer layer but again provides a strong durable glass. This layer has been reinforced and a Anti-Fingerprint coating has been added.  The AF Coating is not new but it is something that device screens use to help to repel water and oil. it is anti-fingerprint and adds a layer of protection for scratch resistance as well.

Screen.jpg

Even though the device has a protective layer of coating users have begun discussions of the S8 Active screen showing signs of scratches. Though it is unknown to the environment these phones were put through. I can attest my S8 does not get put with my keys or is placed in any abnormal situation that could cause distress to the screen. As of today's writing I am not showing any signs of blemishes or scratches. For added protection some users do add an additional glass screen protector. While these protectors help I am unsure if the additional protector when and if removed can cause damage to the Anti-Fingerprint coating already placed on the screen itself. I will keep a lookout for this and will inform my follows as these finding arise. 

Next the protection continues with the added rugged design to include the military-grade toughness. This rating signifies the device has passed 21 rigorous tests and obtained the MIL-STD-810G certification along with the IP68 rating.  These tests include but are not limited to Drops, Vibrations, Shock, Humidity, and Immersion. The Galaxy S8 Active was exposed to temperatures in the range of -40 to 145 degrees Fahrenheit. It can handle being submerged in water at a depth of 5 feet and for 30 minutes. This is what gives the device its complete overall durability.  

Toughness.jpg

Capture of S8 Active being submerged:

20171217_093007.jpg20171217_092958.jpg20171217_093015.jpg

Results of actual submersion test proved the device can and will withstand being submerged in water. 

Devices have become bigger and better and as such in some case have become more fragile. This is why it is nice to have a device of this caliber added to the Sprints inventory. The S8 Active is a very welcomed device to the Sprint community. It gives users the additional protection needed should they want an option for it.

As of this writing Sprints active promotions for Samsung Galaxy S8 Active Include:

1. 50% off with Sprint Flex payments running $17.71/Mo. for 18 months Regularly $35.42/Mo. With option to upgrade after 12 months.

2. Buy it at full Price $850.00

Save 50% on your Samsung Galaxy S8 Active lease payments. Upgrade your GS8 Active anytime after 12 lease payments to the latest Galaxy, exclusively from Sprint. GS8 Active $17.71/mo. for 18 months. Reg. $35.42/mo. For well qualified customers with lease and new line activation. Early termination results in remaining balance due.

Follow me when I release my next blog discussing the components of the inside and how amazing this phone operates. 

Enjoy and remember never use your phone or tablet while driving, be safe and healthy.

Disclaimer:

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee