cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 Active Ruggedness Ratings explained: Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Active PIC.jpg

The Samsung active has is touted as having military grade ruggedness with both an IP68 certification and MIL-STD-810G compliance. These fancy terms sound cool but what do they mean?

Let’s start with the IP68 certification as that has become pretty common among flagships devices with the notable exception of the Motorola Z2. Having ruined a device in the past due to being caught in the rain while cycling, I see the IP68 rating as a must have for my everyday device.

IP stands for the International Protection (IP) standard which has been determined by an organization called the International Electrotechnical Commission. The first number in the rating represents resistance to dust and dirt. The final number represents certification for water resistance. This is important to note as some flagship devices are IP68 while others are IP67. The 8 rating is basically telling you the device is rated to be okay at a depth of 1.5 meters for 30 minutes as opposed to the 7 rating with 1 meter for 30 minutes. Sounds a little like splitting hairs to me but every little bit of rating improvement should help. Key to know with these ratings is that the devices are resistant to water rather than waterproof. I often see devices referenced as waterproof which simply is not true. Chemicals in pools and for sure any saltwater exposure has the potential to impact the device negatively as well.

The standard S8 has the IP68 rating but the Active S8 has an additional rating with MIL-STD-810G compliance. This takes the device to a whole new level of protection by testing the device to withstand 21 environmental conditions. We are talking extreme! This includes heat, cold, dust, radiation, humidity, shock, low pressure (Altitude) and more.

If you work in a particularly harsh environment or travel to what the normal person would regard as exotic locations then this is the device for you.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee