BlogArticlePage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Six weeks with the Google Pixel 3a. My review: Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

I have been using the Google Pixel 3a as my only phone now for over six weeks and thought it would be a good time to share my experience. 

The best part about being a volunteer Sprint Product Ambassador is the opportunity a couple of times a year to try out different devices. Unlike some reviewers, when we get these devices we go all in and use them are our primary phone. We go beyond a surface level tryout and get to use the phone every day for several weeks. 

I moved to the Pixel 3a from the flagship Galaxy S9 which I had used for over a year after having had two other flagship-level phones in a row. It would be easy after all of this flagship goodness to become a bit of a device snob requiring the highest level specs and the largest screens. That is just not me. 

I consider myself to be a normal user that basically wants just a few core things. I want the phone to be easy to use and I want an amazing camera. The device also needs to meet my everyday needs without having to put a lot of thought into it. 

So what about the Pixel 3a? 

As has been discussed extensively, the largest positives to this phone are the base price of $399, camera and the pure Android experience of the PIE OS. Over these several weeks, this trifecta of goodness has won me over to this phone in a big way. Honestly, for someone like me, I cannot see why the average user would not consider this device to save a bundle of money and still have a great experience. The need to have the latest and greatest can be beaten with the reality of having a responsible budget with low or better yet no payment obligations. 

The camera has been the clear superstar of my time with this device so if you did not catch my post about that experience be sure and read about here

Now there are a few things that due to having had these great flagships serve as a detractor. Most minor are the bezels on the screen and the plastic casing. The bezels visually make the phone less appealing visually relative to more expensive phones and the plastic makes the phone less weighty which oddly leaves it with a cheaper feel to me. Both of these cons are purely psychological making them a victim to my ego. 20190710_164855-COLLAGE.jpg

The real con I have is the lack of a water resistance rating. As a person that spends a lot of time outdoors, it has been a pain to be concerned about this and to go back to the old days of a plastic bag and worry about possible rain. This is the only thing for me that would possibly be a deal-breaker to prevent purchasing the 3a. However, the price appeal could beat this knowing that if I were to toast the phone I could just drop $399 for another. The feeling of a fully paid for device and knowing I am not making payments on a phone fits my life well. 

The bottom line is that the Google Pixel 3a is a phone worthy of consideration for the cost-conscious consumer that is willing to give up a few ego impacting features to gain a great camera, smooth OS and a full wallet. 

What is your opinion? Are you willing to sacrifice some specs for a lower price? Is the lack of a water resistance rating a concern? I would be curious to hear from you. 

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee